Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SPITFIRE 85

Old 08-07-2003, 04:09 AM

Default SPITFIRE 85

Anyone out there use these before ?.If so, how did they perform ?.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: SPITFIRE 85

I have used the 100' s and they worked great!
Old 08-07-2003, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the 100' s and they worked great!
Ditto!
Old 08-08-2003, 12:14 PM

I have used the Spitfire 85' s for three years now and so has the guy that I hunt with. We have both had multiple pass throughs and really like the Spitfire' s. I have only had one arrow not pass through and we ended up losing that deer. I am not sure what happened, but it is not the norm. I think that NAP makes a really good broadhead and would recommend them to anyone.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:09 PM

I have shot 8 deer with 85gr. Spitfires from 15 yards out to 40+ yards. The only one I had to track over 80 yards was a quartering towards shot which I will not do again. I have had at least 4 drop within sight of me. They are awesome broadheads as far as I am concerned.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is for the 100 grn, but it should be close enough. I don' t think the spitfire is a bad head, but the Scorpion by NAP is much better in my opinion.

New archery products Spitfire 3 blade

Accuracy 5 points
Plywood 3 points
Steel drum 1 point
Orange 2 points
Blades 3 points
Cutting diameter 4 points
Total score: 18 with a blade sharpness rating of A

The spitfire is a well made, head, accuracy is excellent, and the blades are very sharp out of the package. They use clips to hold the blades closed, instead of O- rings or rubber bands used in most other mechanical heads. This makes for a very convenient head to use, but it does slow down how fast the blades open.
In the accuracy department the spitfires were excellent, fly just like my field points.
In the plywood they penetrated ¾ of the way through the board before stopping. The blades opened about ½ way before the head stopped.
In the steel drum test the spitfire penetrated one side and bounced off the back wall. I bent one blade, and broke part of another off. The third one was intact showing no damage.
In the orange test the head was beginning to open by the time it exited the back. I would estimate it had open ¼ of the way.
I feel the main reason the spitfires had so much damage in the steel drum and did not open well in the plywood or orange is due to the blade retaining clips. They hold the blades very securely, and it takes more force to open them than heads that use rubber bands or O- rings. I tested this theory by removing the clips and holding the blades closed with small rubber bands. In every test the heads preformed better. They were fully opened by the time they exited the Orange, they also fully opened in the plywood, penetrating better, and in the steel drum, the only damage was that a portion of one blade broke, just the “wing” and not any of the cutting surface. I liked the convenience of the Spitfires, and they are a very well made head, but “as is” they are slower to open than I like. When used without the clips they preformed much better, but why buy spitfires if you want to use a head with rubber bands? Besides I know new archery products does not and will not recommend using them in any other way except with the retainer clips. I know many people use the Spitfires with excellent results on game every year, and I need to say again these tests don’t indicate how a head will do on game. They only show how heads perform against each other, and in the test materials. I personally just prefer a head that opens faster.