Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

MO fever

Old 10-02-2003, 09:18 AM

Default MO fever

I got three yesterday afternoon.

A 70 yd double doe stalk in broad daylight with a 45 yd shot [best shot of the day, down in 10 yds] at 3:45pm, 30 minutes later the other returns for lung/gut shot from a near by stand about striaght down head on, then 3 does/fawns pairs come thru and stood around and grazed, and I let them all pass at 5-10yds, then a herd comes thru with some big ones and I take the leader doe (and let the smaller bucks go) at 25yds on a trot. I later passed up a 30 yd side shot on a snorter medium doe[should have tagged that one too]. I drew but stopped, but now I wished I had. 2 more stood off at 40yds for another half hour. Got to get more of those anterless tags. If I processed my own, I would have taken at least 7, but heck, I don' t want to pay the butcher for all those.

If you are hunting in Missouri - the acorns are dropping big time. I could have taken many more. Get out there. Wild grapes were the big draw too. They were eating at the grass too, which really amazed me. Is there some kind of seedling coming up in the fall they like? They had their heads down much longer than normal for just grass I think.

I have been bow hunting for awhile and this year I bought a new really short limb/high left off/high speed/ top of the line Hoyt bow. I must say, wow, what a difference. No way I could have hit a 45yd-er with the old 50% camber 55# bow I had before, and even if I had it would have been a mile track. The draw is easy, and the short size is so nice in the woods on a stalk. The last shot, the 25yder, hit the doe so hard I could here all the ribs busting. Sounded like a shotgun. This time I get the arrow back in 20 yds or it just goes right thru. Good blood trial every time due to the extra power of the punch. I recommend the new short high speed bows. I think they are just as stable as the big ones if you shoot a few times prior to seaon starting. I was worried about the short lenght amplifying my not so good shooting skills, but I don' t worry about that any more! Go get one if you don' t have one. Last year I shot two bucks at 20yds and never found the arrows or them. Not this year.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:46 AM
Spike

Default RE: MO fever

sounds like you have the right spot!!!