Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 So, who's getting the fever? >

So, who's getting the fever?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So, who's getting the fever?

Old 07-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default So, who's getting the fever?

I just bought my first bow and in Alabama our first day is October 13th! It is eating me alive! I am thinking about getting a license for a Georgia WMA for the weekend of September 29th and 30th, anybody recommend a particular WMA in GA?

Guys, I need to know some basics. I am a rookie at bowhunting. What are the musts and must nots of bowhunting? Tips, tricks, suggestions?

I will be frequenting these forums much more often, and I want to know a little bit about you guys also! I am a student at Auburn University in Alabama, but hunt in Tuskeegee National Forest while at school and in Henry and Barbour county during late November to the end of the season. Where do you guys hunt? Any one else from southeastern Alabama? (Or southwestern GA?)

My hometown, which is where I hunt most, is only 15 minutes from the GA line and 45 mins from the FL line, so if anybody knows any good WMA's or NF's in the area in GA and FL please let me know!

I have hunted for a few years now with a rifle, and no one around me really used bows. However, I always respected the bow much more than the rifle when it came to hunting, and wanted to try it out. Going to school in Auburn limited my hunting somewhat and I wanted to be able to get the extra 5 weeks on the rifle-only hunters. I have already recieved very helpful information from the posters on this forum, and look forward to much more.

- Chris
Old 07-08-2007, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So, who's getting the fever?

had the fever for about 3 weeks now!
Old 07-08-2007, 06:04 PM

I am already pumped up for deer season! Gotta wait till October though

rick

Old 07-08-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

The biggest diff. between gun and bow hunting, is you have to fool their noses MUCH closer. You need to paylots of attention to keeping yourself and your equipment scent free. Always remember to try and keep your scent from blowing in the direction the deer are supposed to come from. But sometimes they come from the wrong direction anyway. When that happens you usually lose.

Good luck with your new adventures.And yes, you can learn alot here on the forum.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your first bow and welcome to the addiction! That being said, you've got a LOT to do in a short time. Right now your major concern is learning the shooting basics and be able to put that arrow exactly where it needs to be. Best of luck to ya this Fall.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:38 PM

Dude, I've had the fever for quite awhile now. You learn the most by getting out there and doing it. So get out in the field and give it your all!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MidwestJ

Dude, I've had the fever for quite awhile now. You learn the most by getting out there and doing it. So get out in the field and give it your all!
That is a recipe for failure. You need to learn everything you can about bowhunting before you just go out and and do it. And practice shooting your bowso youknow your effective range. 3D shoots aregood practice for hunting situations also, picking your spot and judging ranges.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im so excited you have no idea. CANNOT WAIT!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:45 PM

i am pumped i set out my first trail cam and i cant wait to go look at some piks....and then the beggining of archery season
Old 07-09-2007, 03:49 AM

I've got the fever as well. My fiance thinks i am crazy because i have been scouting the property i just acquired permission to hunt on and i keep saying "i'm going to spend alot of time there this fall" and she's like "ummm you are ALREADY spending quite a bit of time there so i hate to see what happens in October/November".

I'd say with the exception of taking shots at animals, you will learn the most by just getting out there and observing. Last year was my first season and i went out each time expecting to not get a shot and i had close action on various occasions and that was all it took to get me hooked.

My weak main goal to improve this year is stand placement. "My" property is primarily very very thick briars and vines. There's one main travel corridor that leads to some agricultural fields that is tucked in between some residential sections which will end up being the prime spot. But i need to determine where in the thick stuff i will also place a few stands.

Quick Reply: So, who's getting the fever?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.