Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why do you bow hunt >

Why do you bow hunt

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do you bow hunt

Old 11-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Spike

Because of most of all that was mentioned already.
Personally, I like it because it brings me close to the game. It's one thing to have a deer step out 150-200 yards away and drop it, it's quite another to have him/her come in so close you can see the whiskers. My heart starts pounding and I get tunnel vision when focused on a deer approaching my stand. I think it goes back to the primal, predator and prey thing.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Trying to get a good shot at a deer that close is one of the most exciting things there is. The day I don't get excited when I see a good deer is the day I quit hunting.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

To me bowhunting is just an extension of shooting a bow year round. So why do I shoot a bow and/or bowhunt? Because I can't stand golf or watching professional sports on TV. Gotta get out and commune with nature.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Spike

Default Love for hunting

I bow hunt because it takes my season from 2 weeks to 4 months and I love the challenge of getting to within bow range. To me shooting a deer with a rifle is easy unless you are targeting one spacific buck. Also I like to even out the odds a bit between me and the deer.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Spike

I have archery hunted for 30 years, and loved every minute. To me its the challenge, I grew up in central Florida where there are some good places to deer hunt but Florida hunting is always a challenge and bow hunting is the ultimate challenge. I have been a successful bow hunter for the area I have to hunt. I started hunting in south Georgia many years ago and success came a little more often and the deer had a little more quality. I am going to hunt S. Illinois next year and hope to have success. As you continue to learn the woods and read the signs and see deer, you will get it. Archery is knees knocking, hands shaking, heart pounding weak legs , not being able to pull your bow back, and that is just a doe!! I love archery hunting!
Old 11-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the extra time Bow Hunting allows me to be outside in the woods,plus it's very challenging to Hunt Deer,Turkey or Predators with Archery Equipment!
Old 11-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Spike

Great subject! A friend and I had this exact same conversation 2 weeks ago. I believe the question I asked was "what makes bowhunting so great" after I shot my second doe of the season. My friend described it as this: "I think it is kind of like being a kid again, being able to get away with something/not get caught. Like when that big doe is watching you and your trying to keep your eye on 3 different deer and pull back your bow on one without getting busted." Don't get me wrong, I love archery and love to deer hunt. The thrill and excitement that goes into both is like nothing other than I can describe. You have to be able to get close and not get detected by going through countless steps of preparation and hard work through out the year. But the more I thought about what my friend said, I couldn't really disagree with it. I think it is what partly fuels me as a bowhunter myself. Share the tradition with your family and friends. It's a ride, Happy Hunting!
Old 11-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

cut my teeth as a young 25yo on a permit to harvest deer doing damage to our family tree farm. not much woods as the big boss pushed most of it but some good deer moving in at sunset.. took a lot of deer and esp bucks with my 12 Remington.. but! when I picked up the bow I never did the permit again even though it took me afew years to get my first deer (mature doe at 10yrds,she went 15yrds more) and first buck was a monster after a rain.. was stalkin the edge of our field and the swamp..out steps this huge freakin thing I ever saw.. knees knockin the works.. finaly he turns I guess 30.. well he must of been 35/40 instead..watched my Easton arrow dip below his vitals.. saw him run off about 200 yrds back lit on a rise saw nothing but his rack.. was hooked from there on.. now I enjoy the peace and QT and seeing the animals.. hawks landing in trees close to me.. foxes running thru the woods down wind barkin and yippin living it up too many things to list..but love it! even though for the last 3 years I have been stuck with only hunting people's yards this year DEC cut off the permit in early sept.. shot my first buck/deer on our family's nursery with a bow!! not a monster but a trophy for me!! enjoy ever second!!!

Last edited by LI archer; 11-11-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: inserting words
Old 11-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zim4par
Great subject! A friend and I had this exact same conversation 2 weeks ago. I believe the question I asked was "what makes bowhunting so great" after I shot my second doe of the season. My friend described it as this: "I think it is kind of like being a kid again, being able to get away with something/not get caught. Like when that big doe is watching you and your trying to keep your eye on 3 different deer and pull back your bow on one without getting busted." Don't get me wrong, I love archery and love to deer hunt. The thrill and excitement that goes into both is like nothing other than I can describe. You have to be able to get close and not get detected by going through countless steps of preparation and hard work through out the year. But the more I thought about what my friend said, I couldn't really disagree with it. I think it is what partly fuels me as a bowhunter myself. Share the tradition with your family and friends. It's a ride, Happy Hunting!
Ive had a Turkey buzzard/vulture intentionally try to poop on me!! He could see me but didn't know what I was...and flew right over where I was landed above me and pooped!! luckily the wind caught it and took it to the left of me...I almost took a shot at it with my bow...but I think they are protected