Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help??

Old 11-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Spike

Default help??

shot a real nice one this afternoon.. he was quarted pretty hard away. shot and he did a real nice mule kick.. as soon as I pulled the trigger I thought he was double lunged.. he ran and stoped about 20 yards and looked around.. then slowly walked and stopped again until he walked into the edge of the woods and stopped again... (he was chasing a doe at the time but left her after I shot) any idea where I could of hit? he wasn't hunched up either. I walked out quietly until tomorrow morning
Old 11-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Spike

My guess based on his reactions after the shot is he is mortally wounded by an arrow placed in the vitals, either a single or double lung, and probably ain't too far from where you last seen him. I have placed arrowed between the ribs before, both entry and exits. Deer kicked and ran just a few steps to look around as he knew something wasn't quite right. Walked off slowly and collapsed.

I wouldn't be surprised if you find him close to where you last seen him, but waiting till morning is a good call. How are the overnight temps where your at? Hows your coyote population???

Last edited by FungusFinder; 11-10-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: forgot something....duh
Old 11-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Spike

nothing will push the deer no coyotes. temps will be about lower 40s tonight. thanks for the reply.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would at least go to where the deer was shot...see if you can find the arrow and or good blood. go from there...usually a mule kick is a good sign. Good luck. I have a feeling its not far as well just from your description.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

My dad shot one earlier this year from 15 yards and it did the mule kick. Had great blood and we started tracking it a couple hours after he shot it. We tracked this deer without looking hard for blood at all and found 3 large pools. After over 1000 yards of a great blood trail we lost the trail. I have never seen anything like it before at all. You just need to make the best decision possible and 9 times out of 10 backing out is the right decision.
Good Luck
Old 11-11-2013, 05:23 AM
Spike

Backing out is the best decision if you are unsure. He will lay down and die if not pushed. A buddy and I where in KS last year and he shot a deer in the gut and barely hit the liver. We left him for 24hrs and the deer was only 100-125 yards from where he shot him that morning before. If we had pushed him, I don't thing we would have found him.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Spike

Any updates on this?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

I'd leave him sit for at least 6 hours if you aren't sure of he shot. Sounds like you hit him pretty well though. I single lunged my buck this weekend and he ran a mile up and down ravines. They are tough animal