Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Should I or shouldn' t I hang stands early? >

Should I or shouldn' t I hang stands early?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should I or shouldn' t I hang stands early?

Old 09-29-2003, 07:47 PM

Default Should I or shouldn' t I hang stands early?

I am getting to hunt some prime land in South East Ohio. I never have had permission to hunt land like this before. I am used to state land that is hunted hard with little bucks and low deer numbers. So I am pumped up to the max. My question is this, I have a vaction for the first week of Nov to hit the rut and more days after that. There is 5 of us in our group. Should I or we hang our stands 2 weeks before we get down there or hang them when we get there in Nov? I know the earlier the better but not everyone can get together for a certain date. I wanted to go down on the 18th, that would give the stands 2 weeks to settle down alittle. Some can get the time off and some can not. Should I go down and hang what I can or just wait. Sorry I am rambleing, I am just pumped up! Can you tell? [8D]. So, What would you do?

I personally have a climber, but my dad and brother do not. That is also in favor for me.

James D.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:27 PM

Default RE: Should I or shouldn' t I hang stands early?

i think you should get down there and hang as many as u can early. Give the deer some time to get used to them. Dont want to go in later in the year and make racket and cut shooting lanes and then try to hunt it.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

If there is no chance of losing your stands to theft, I would hang them early and let everything settle down for your upcoming hunt. But if there is chance of theft, I would hang them when you get there.

You know you can take the climber in when you get there, so your bro and dad should decide wether to put their stands out there or not.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:36 PM

hang' em as early as possible, maybe you can help your buddies out and speed scout some locations and mark them on a map, they can fine tune and hone in the perfect tree without stirring up every inch of ground before you all hunt it. good luck!!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 11:07 PM

Hang them as early as possible!! A deer is going to notice that a " lump" suddenly apears on a tree, and they will be wary of it for awhile. So give them alittle time to get used to it before the season opens.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:12 AM

I always hang my stands at least 2 weeks before the season.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:29 AM

I would hang them early - HOWEVER... if it' s only 2 weeks early, hang your stand like you are getting ready to hunt - do it QUIETLY, as if you were going to climb it and hunt right then..... then get out of there......... 2 weeks is not a lot of time to settle down the area if you stink it up bad or make noise...... so just be stealthy...... then when you get there in Novemeber.... you can stalk your stand, climb in like a Ninja...... and the deer will have a surprise waiting for them
Old 09-30-2003, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hang ' em as early as you can. Let the woods cool off as long as you can before you get in there and hunt. Hopefully, you guys already know where your going to hang the stands and won' t have to tromp around trying to find a spot to set up. Rememberm, the earlier the better.

Good Luck!
Old 09-30-2003, 09:41 AM

I would spend most of my time scouting the area from a distance by bino' s to get an idea where the deer are coming from and going to and then very carefully sneak in, hang your stands and get out. I would trim or cut ONLY what is absolutely necessary and I would drag the limbs with me to safe distance away from the stand sites. Also, I would take as much caution in regards to scent control as you do while hunting. I would have my scent blockers on, gloves, and rubber boots while hanging the stands. I would probably have to hop into one of them there stands and hunt an evening while I was down there though! You know the old saying......the best time to hunt is a stand is the first time you put it up!!! Good luck to you and hope you post that big B&C that your going to whack!
Old 09-30-2003, 09:57 AM

If it is a secure area nd you are 100% certain no one will steal your stands, then by all means hang them early and it wouldn' t hurt to lock them with a good cable. I have private land to hunt here in NJ, but I don' t trust anyone so I will hang my stand the night before...and that' s when I am feeling most trustworthy!