Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When do you hang your stands

Old 08-10-2005, 05:10 PM

Default When do you hang your stands

Hey all,
Been away for awhile and no not jail, puter problems. dam i missed the reads, just woundering when do you all set your stand i normally take my climber but want to put out some loc-ons, and a ladder stand, Got my son hunting with me this year,well he's hunted before with me but its time to put him in his owne stand,thought maybe the ladder stand. plus it will be his first year with stick and string.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: When do you hang your stands

if it's a place you trust and don't think you'll lose your stand, then you can put it up a few days to a week before. No need to have it hanging there for weeks or months. The deer won't even know it's there. If it's a place your don't trust too much, then I suggest the night before.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:31 PM

i have started putting homemade latter stands up already and will soon put the lock ups one. It is over a month and a half until i can hunt, but the sooner i put them up the more the deer will get used to them.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm hanging 3 this weekend. Will have the bunch hung before Sept1 for sure.
I already refrained from hanging one stand twice now because the wind was wrong.
I like them up early and any lanes cut well before the season and then I don't go near them until it's the right wind and time.
I have a spot that might be special this season due to lay of the land, food etc and I'm treating it very delicately.

Of course a good masterlock and braided steel cable help a bit too.If someone wants it, they'll get it but at least I'll make them earn it a bit.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:12 PM

Hung 3 during spring turkey season. Hunt till 1:00, hang stands in the afternoon. I have a climber I also use to hunt the hot sign.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

I put them up a week or two before opening day. Just like to make sure I have at least one up for the first hunt.

John
Old 08-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

about a month or so before the season. it all depends. I use a climber alot and hunt the same trees year in and year out. the loc ons go up about a month prior in trees I know will more than likely produce deer. I don't hang stands on property I don't have exclusive permission. I've had too many stolen. I really like my climber for most of my hunting.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

One's been up in a real good spot since last year

Hanging three more next week, and then I've got my trusty Summit climber for really impromptu opportunities!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hang mine 1 to 2 months before the season. WhenI hang lock on's I usually make a good bit of noise, sweat etc ... and I want to be sure there are no limbs in the way, I usually do some trimming/sawing and I like things to settle down for a few weeks after Im all set hanging the stands.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I normally carry my stands in with me when I am about to hunt but if I did hang stand it would probably be in July or August. September 1st and the latest (with a regular start date of around October 1st each year).

Quick Reply: When do you hang your stands

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.