Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What broad head has the largest cut dia????? >

What broad head has the largest cut dia?????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What broad head has the largest cut dia?????

Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by fletch920
I have stuck several muzzy's through shoulder blades. You might think of a shoulder blade as being like a barrel. I stand by what I said and it is in fact good information from over 30 years of killing game with a bow. I have tried them all and will never go back to a large expandable for anything other than turkeys. A smaller fixed head will outperform a large expandable many times over when it comes to getting pass-through shots. Also, I can pull them out of the dirt, sharpen the blades and shoot them again. You wont do that with a cheaply made Rage. Several outfitters in the midwest will not even allow the Rages on their properties. And, they are illegal in some states. Sorry Rage lovers, but facts are facts. By your own admission, the long, unsupported blades are more likely to fail or break. Sounds like your "good" information came from the marketing department of Rage. Mine came from the field.
x2 on this. i have shot 2 deer with rage, and 2 with muzzy 3 blades. both deer i shot with the rage were through the lungs. when i found the arrows the blades were so badly bent i was surprised they didn't break off. Now those muzzys on the other hand, love em'. Not hating on rage 2 blades, after all they did what there were suppose to, but them being a one shot BH at 20$ isn't right when a muzzy can do it just as good. maybe ill use a rage one day again, not soon though.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the site you can get a lot of good information and you'll see alot disagreements. Especially about heads and bows.

Like someone already said it's not all about cutting diameter, many of the pros you'll see promoting a head or a bow this season used totally different equipment one or two years ago.If you have a good shop in your area they can help you out and so can the internet. There are KE calculators available and many tests independent on broadheads available.

One thing to pay no attention to are people that made the perfect shot with broadhead X but never found their deer so it's the heads fault. You make the perfect shot you kill the animal and they aren't hard to find.

Any sharp head that is put in the right spot is going to kill an animal quickly. Sometimes that doesn't happen and that's where the good ones are seperated from the bad. We might not be shooting through metal barrels but shoulder blades and spines are pretty darn tough.

As important as a good broad is knowing when to pursue game after the shot and how to track. More animals ar lost due to not giving enough time on a marginal shot then just about anything.

Last edited by Charlie P; 02-02-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Charlie P
More animals ar lost due to not giving enough time on a marginal shot then just about anything.

I can't over emphasize that! WAITING is so important; I've even seen it with gun hunters. I've been hunting since Jesus was in high school and I still get anxious to see what I shot; but I have to force myself to GIVE IT TIME.

Use the broad head that you shoot best (shot placement is more important than cutting diameter). I like to shoot heavy; I've been using Muzzy Phantom 220 gn for years because I like the KE and I can knock the sneakers off a rattlesnake at 40 yards with my set up.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have stuck several muzzy's through shoulder blades. You might think of a shoulder blade as being like a barrel. I stand by what I said and it is in fact good information from over 30 years of killing game with a bow. I have tried them all and will never go back to a large expandable for anything other than turkeys. A smaller fixed head will outperform a large expandable many times over when it comes to getting pass-through shots. Also, I can pull them out of the dirt, sharpen the blades and shoot them again. You wont do that with a cheaply made Rage. Several outfitters in the midwest will not even allow the Rages on their properties. And, they are illegal in some states. Sorry Rage lovers, but facts are facts. By your own admission, the long, unsupported blades are more likely to fail or break. Sounds like your "good" information came from the marketing department of Rage. Mine came from the field.
Good one! Well said!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Spike

i have a bowtech aligance, 60lb draw weight
Old 02-05-2013, 06:58 AM
Spike

ya i have rages now but i dont like the fact i gotta replace the rubber band to hold my blades because i usually use the arrow more then once in one hunt
Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by fastetti
Your going to get every answer in the book on this. I'd use the search function and you'll be able to pull up many different topics on this. The largest diameter broadhead is usually not the best broadhead to use. You have to match the broadhead with you bow, draw weight, size of the animal etc. Personally I use the Slick Trick Magnum. I don't measure my broadheads by diameter though, I'm more interested in the amount of cutting surface. With my slick tricks I have over 2" in cutting surface and don't have to worry about any mechanical error with an expandable opening up. I'm not saying expandables are bad, I just prefer fixed blade.
ya ive had the trouble with my expandables not opening, but with the biggest cut dia is what i want for more blood loss and a very visiable blood trail
Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

first of all, a whitetails shoulder blades are no where near as toughas a steel barrell. the shoulder blade is just cartilage, not bone. secondly, i said fixed heads are tougher and even explained why. thirdly, if your fixed blade is shot straight through the heart/lungs and a larger expandable is shot through the same spot with no bone interference...you will find your deer sooner than you will with a small fixed head. it's really that simple, more total cutting curface equals more blood loos and larger holes, i stand by my statement.

i do agree with your assessment on Rage's. i have killed deer with them but the blades and head were trashed. also mechanicals take alot more KE and MO to work perfectly. alot of people don't have this and shoot them anyway. my bow shoots 323 fps and has 92 lbs. of KE. i have no trouble putting a 2" Grim Reaper Whitetail Special through a deer's shoulder blades and deep into the dirt on the other side.

by the way, i don't shoot Rage's anymore and haven't for a long time. also i'm not so cheap that i feel the need to reuse a broadhead. if i have to replace a broadhead for every found deer that i shoot, i believe that is a good trade off.

Last edited by CamoCop; 02-08-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

i usually use the arrow more then once in one hunt
huh? You shoot more then once a hunt, with the same arrow?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

the shoulder blade is just cartilage, not bone
We talking about the same thing?
Attached Thumbnails What broad head has the largest cut dia?????-bone.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.