Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What broad head has the largest cut dia????? >

What broad head has the largest cut dia?????

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What broad head has the largest cut dia?????

Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Spike

Lightbulb What broad head has the largest cut dia?????

please help i need to know what to get cause i want the best broad head all suggestions are welcome yall
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

You will get a number of different answers because everyone has their own personal preference. In my experience the one broadhead that has held up the best and has an amazing cutting diameter is the T3 from G5 made from 100% steel.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Spike

I have had really good luck with the G5 Stryker. Always punches a good hole in them and one hell of a blood trail.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

WEll, this can be approached several ways.
First off, this topic has been opened MANY times. Just do a search here and you more than likely will get the answer you want.
Second. You never said what type of arrow and weight you are shooting. That will greatly affect the kinetic energy needed to pass a large to very large broadhead through the animal.
Third. You did not state what type of animal(s) you are planning to take with this broadhead.
I personally shoot the 100grn GrimReaper Razor Cut with 1-3/8ths cut and blow through everything I shoot. I shoot Gold Tip Velocity XT 400's weighing 344grns. I shoot a Mathews Drenalin at 64lbs and they give me 297fps with a kenetic energy of 70.

Last edited by SecondChance; 02-01-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Rage two blade has a 2 inch and the rage two blade extreame has a little over two inches with that one.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your going to get every answer in the book on this. I'd use the search function and you'll be able to pull up many different topics on this. The largest diameter broadhead is usually not the best broadhead to use. You have to match the broadhead with you bow, draw weight, size of the animal etc. Personally I use the Slick Trick Magnum. I don't measure my broadheads by diameter though, I'm more interested in the amount of cutting surface. With my slick tricks I have over 2" in cutting surface and don't have to worry about any mechanical error with an expandable opening up. I'm not saying expandables are bad, I just prefer fixed blade.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

The broadheads with the largest cutting diameter are likely the worst for taking big game. A smaller dia fixed head will almost always outperform a large expandable.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

your asking the wrong question. cutting diameter is not nearly as imprtant as total cutting surface. for example Rage makes a 2.3" cut broadhead however Grim Reaper makes the Whitetail Special that is a 2" cut.

now you might say the Rage is bigger but in reality it is not. since that Rage is a 2 blade and the Grim Reaper is a 3 blade, the Grim Reaper has a larger total cutting surface area. the Rage's total cutting surface area is 2.3", same as diameter, because it is only a 2 blade. the Grim Reaper has a 3" total cutting surface because it is a 3 blade.

now, due to that Rage only having 2 blades, it will get better penetration due to less overall blade resistance. using the Grim Reaper will take more KE and MO because it has more overall blades to push through an animal.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fletch920
The broadheads with the largest cutting diameter are likely the worst for taking big game. A smaller dia fixed head will almost always outperform a large expandable.
bad information. the only time a smaller fixed blade will out perform a large mechanical is when they are shot through steel barrels. common sense says when you have larger blades that have less support, due to their function by opening on impact, from their ferrule, will usually break before smaller blades that have full length contact with the ferrule for support.

mechanicals do what they are designed to do and they do it very well. yes a fixed head is on average a stronger head but we are not hunting steel barrels. any mechanical on the market today is more than capable of killing any animal in North America.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CamoCop
bad information. the only time a smaller fixed blade will out perform a large mechanical is when they are shot through steel barrels. common sense says when you have larger blades that have less support, due to their function by opening on impact, from their ferrule, will usually break before smaller blades that have full length contact with the ferrule for support.

mechanicals do what they are designed to do and they do it very well. yes a fixed head is on average a stronger head but we are not hunting steel barrels. any mechanical on the market today is more than capable of killing any animal in North America.
I have stuck several muzzy's through shoulder blades. You might think of a shoulder blade as being like a barrel. I stand by what I said and it is in fact good information from over 30 years of killing game with a bow. I have tried them all and will never go back to a large expandable for anything other than turkeys. A smaller fixed head will outperform a large expandable many times over when it comes to getting pass-through shots. Also, I can pull them out of the dirt, sharpen the blades and shoot them again. You wont do that with a cheaply made Rage. Several outfitters in the midwest will not even allow the Rages on their properties. And, they are illegal in some states. Sorry Rage lovers, but facts are facts. By your own admission, the long, unsupported blades are more likely to fail or break. Sounds like your "good" information came from the marketing department of Rage. Mine came from the field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.