HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What broad head has the largest cut dia?????
Old 02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
CamoCop
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fletch920
I have stuck several muzzy's through shoulder blades. You might think of a shoulder blade as being like a barrel. I stand by what I said and it is in fact good information from over 30 years of killing game with a bow. I have tried them all and will never go back to a large expandable for anything other than turkeys. A smaller fixed head will outperform a large expandable many times over when it comes to getting pass-through shots. Also, I can pull them out of the dirt, sharpen the blades and shoot them again. You wont do that with a cheaply made Rage. Several outfitters in the midwest will not even allow the Rages on their properties. And, they are illegal in some states. Sorry Rage lovers, but facts are facts. By your own admission, the long, unsupported blades are more likely to fail or break. Sounds like your "good" information came from the marketing department of Rage. Mine came from the field.
first of all, a whitetails shoulder blades are no where near as toughas a steel barrell. the shoulder blade is just cartilage, not bone. secondly, i said fixed heads are tougher and even explained why. thirdly, if your fixed blade is shot straight through the heart/lungs and a larger expandable is shot through the same spot with no bone interference...you will find your deer sooner than you will with a small fixed head. it's really that simple, more total cutting curface equals more blood loos and larger holes, i stand by my statement.

i do agree with your assessment on Rage's. i have killed deer with them but the blades and head were trashed. also mechanicals take alot more KE and MO to work perfectly. alot of people don't have this and shoot them anyway. my bow shoots 323 fps and has 92 lbs. of KE. i have no trouble putting a 2" Grim Reaper Whitetail Special through a deer's shoulder blades and deep into the dirt on the other side.

by the way, i don't shoot Rage's anymore and haven't for a long time. also i'm not so cheap that i feel the need to reuse a broadhead. if i have to replace a broadhead for every found deer that i shoot, i believe that is a good trade off.

Last edited by CamoCop; 02-08-2013 at 02:59 PM.