Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Len the DEER dragger!! >

Len the DEER dragger!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Len the DEER dragger!!

Old 08-23-2003, 07:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Len the DEER dragger!!

Yup, he went and ruined it. I can' t be picking on him anymore about having to drag his deer. We were out on crop damage this morning. I took a shot I had no doubt my bow would make. Well, it didn' t work out exactly as planned. I hit this nice doe dead center from above looking head on. I hit her in the spine, it glanced off and didn' t penetrate worth a dang. I won' t be making that shot again. I' m pumping 65 foot pounds but it still didn' t do it. It knocked her flat to the ground. She go up and took off with the arrow laying flat on her back. I gave her about an hour and climbed down for a look. Long story short, it wasn' t an easy track at all. The saving grace was she went into the cornfield. The leaves wipped what little blood there was off her back as she went. I lost her a couple times and got within about feet of her and didn' t see her till she took off. In fact, I walked past her 10 yards, lost the blood and she jumped when I came back. She lit out but not to fast. I didn' t know it at the time but she only went about 20-25 yards this time. I' m sneaking and peeking and saw her laying 10 yards away two rows over. I found a hole and finished her off.

Len called and said he had one we had to find. So I' m messing with my deer and he comes looking for me. I had dragged her out of the corn about 50 yards to gut her. I finished gutting and he shows up. I' m getting my stuff together and he takes off with my deer. I guess he just had to get even with me. I stopped to get my stand and he kept going. I thought he cut back through the woods but he followed around the edge of the corn. A call on the radio informed me he had my deer at a point where we could drive. So, ole Len dragged my deer 500 yards. Not only that, he hadn' t informed me he found his own and dragged it out to. Now I mean, what' s up with that? He had all the fun of dragging by himself.[] Not only that, he had someone who needed a deer. I don' t even have to cut up venison today. Life is good.

So, the moral of the hunt is. If it isn' t a good shot, don' t take it.... no matter how good your equipment may be. The deer was only about 5 yards away, when I shot from 20 feet up. It was a great tracking job I did but a lousy shot to take. Deer Dragger Len drilled his. He found it just a few yards from where he last saw it. It didn' t go far. Mine went about 200 yards. When you don' t get lungs and you don' t have an exit hole and the entrance is straight down on the spine it isn' t good tracking.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Len the DEER dragger!!

No offense Dave, but my moral of the story is that its GREAT that Len is now healthy enough to BE Deer Dragger Len again!
After the scare Len its good to see you ' Pulling Your Weight' again.[8D]

Sounds like an interesting time all around tho that' s for sure! Hunting in August........you guys stink!
Old 08-23-2003, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

David, kudos to you for sharing and reminding us all of the right thing to do. Kudos to Len for being such a nice guy.

You guys are like kids again.... havin' all that fun is hard on the rest of us.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

I' ve been on the go this summer a lot and have left Len to his own too much. He' s been stacking the does up. His 11 year old has shot 1 also. I' m not sure how many Len has shot already.... 5, 6, 7? I' m not sure.

Yup, good to see him motoring. He' s real old you know( got me by a couple months I think). The guy is in good shape for an old crotchetty. While I' ve been off traveling he' s been hanging stands and killing deer. Heck, they cut enough meat out of him last fall to give him a new waist line and lighten his pack by several pounds. He needs these little hunts to maintain his sanity. At this time of year his shop is a zoo. They are busy busy and put in double digit hours 7 days a week.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

He' s real old you know ( got me by a couple months I think). The guy is in good shape for an old crotchetty.
Len, are you just gonna sit there and take that??!!
Charlie
Old 08-23-2003, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wish someone would drag my deer [:' (]
Old 08-23-2003, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats to you and Len! I' m glad to hear Len is back on track.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Ohio Bowhunter 75.... he got back in the saddle quicker than anyone would have thought last year. I believe he finished with 16 bow kills last fall, plus a some with the XBow while his surjury heeled, plus some with the smoke pole.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well it' s good to hear Len is back in the saddle, and the he can still shoot well. David on the other hand never was " out of the saddle" yet can' t make a simple shot. I know what it was, you must have been using them old thunderheads? That would explain why you had such a rough time! LOL
Old 08-24-2003, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Right on the Thunderhead. I' ve shot similiar deer in similiar spots and had it blow right through. I guess she was too close.[]

Quick Reply: Len the DEER dragger!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.