HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Len the DEER dragger!!
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2003, 07:15 AM
davidmil
Dominant Buck

Default Len the DEER dragger!!

Yup, he went and ruined it. I can' t be picking on him anymore about having to drag his deer. We were out on crop damage this morning. I took a shot I had no doubt my bow would make. Well, it didn' t work out exactly as planned. I hit this nice doe dead center from above looking head on. I hit her in the spine, it glanced off and didn' t penetrate worth a dang. I won' t be making that shot again. I' m pumping 65 foot pounds but it still didn' t do it. It knocked her flat to the ground. She go up and took off with the arrow laying flat on her back. I gave her about an hour and climbed down for a look. Long story short, it wasn' t an easy track at all. The saving grace was she went into the cornfield. The leaves wipped what little blood there was off her back as she went. I lost her a couple times and got within about feet of her and didn' t see her till she took off. In fact, I walked past her 10 yards, lost the blood and she jumped when I came back. She lit out but not to fast. I didn' t know it at the time but she only went about 20-25 yards this time. I' m sneaking and peeking and saw her laying 10 yards away two rows over. I found a hole and finished her off.

Len called and said he had one we had to find. So I' m messing with my deer and he comes looking for me. I had dragged her out of the corn about 50 yards to gut her. I finished gutting and he shows up. I' m getting my stuff together and he takes off with my deer. I guess he just had to get even with me. I stopped to get my stand and he kept going. I thought he cut back through the woods but he followed around the edge of the corn. A call on the radio informed me he had my deer at a point where we could drive. So, ole Len dragged my deer 500 yards. Not only that, he hadn' t informed me he found his own and dragged it out to. Now I mean, what' s up with that? He had all the fun of dragging by himself.[] Not only that, he had someone who needed a deer. I don' t even have to cut up venison today. Life is good.

So, the moral of the hunt is. If it isn' t a good shot, don' t take it.... no matter how good your equipment may be. The deer was only about 5 yards away, when I shot from 20 feet up. It was a great tracking job I did but a lousy shot to take. Deer Dragger Len drilled his. He found it just a few yards from where he last saw it. It didn' t go far. Mine went about 200 yards. When you don' t get lungs and you don' t have an exit hole and the entrance is straight down on the spine it isn' t good tracking.