Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
new respect for bow hunters >

new respect for bow hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new respect for bow hunters

Old 11-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default new respect for bow hunters

This is my first year bow hunting. I have past on a lot of deer this year until today. Well sort of. A doe came about 15 yards in front of me and as I was sizing her up thinking about taking her I noticed a spike coming in behind her. As he was walking towards me I could see that he was limping pretty good. When he stopped 20 yards out eating, I decided that I may take him instead because on his injury. So I stood up slowly, started to draw my bow and ask the Lord that if he was going to make it, just let him see me and run off or let me have a clean miss. Well I'm not sure that he seen me or heard something but at half draw he raised his head and trotted off. After that another doe came out in the same spot and she was nice for these parts. This time she busted me before I can even get to half draw. I just wanted to tell all of you successful bow hunters out there that you'll half to be some of the best hunters around. Not taking anything away from gun hunters because I know do both but you really must be at the top of your game to hunt with a bow. Maybe one day I'll be fortunate enough to take one with a bow and I'm sure that it will be something to remember. Any pointers from you'll would be great.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Spike

Bowhunting sure can be a rush! There is nothing that can quite compare to the rush of harvesting a deer with a bow. Many people can try to give you advice, including myself. But, I think the best help can be experience. Just put your time in and you will learn new things every time you go out. A few big things I can think of is: stand placement, trail cameras and hunting with the wind in your favor.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another good tip is to learn a deer's body language. For instance if a deer looks at you at close range, try not to make eye contact. A lot of times deer will look directly at you. But if you don't move and your camo is a good pattern for the area, they will seem to look through you. Remember, you're in their living room. If they put their head down, don't think all is OK. They may just jerk it right back up to see if they can catch you moving. Now if they put their head down and flick their tail - that's a sign of a relaxed deer. So just bide your time and move only when you can't see their eyes, or if they are focused on something else - another deer, passing car, etc.
Also, constantly but slowly scan the surroundings for parts of deer. It is much better to already have your bow in hand and waiting when it comes into range then to try and go through all the motions of standing, getting your bow off the hanger, drawing, etc. Getting away with all that movement means you have to move at a speed that would make a snail look fast.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tips. I have notice that when they look at me and then put their heads down, they just about always pop their heads back up to see if I'm moving. Also great advice on the body language of the deer. This really helps a lot. I see them usually way before they get that close but I have severe spinal stenosis and cp so its kinda rough on me to stand still for much more than a minute. Thats why I'm not up and ready when they get there because sometimes it takes them a while to get within bow range. That part kinda sucks but if I can just learn to read them maybe I'll get my chance at one. And I know that you are right about being a rush because just to draw on that one yesterday was a big rush for me. I love bow hunting so much because it is so challeging. Heck gun season is in now and I still took my bow today. I will learn but it may take some time. The spike did give me a shot at 30 yds. out again which I feel comfortable taking but I noticed that there was 2 thin branches that I had to shoot between and being fairly new to bow hunting,I wasn't comfortable enough to take the shot.I just hope that he makes it for a few more years. And thanks again. Sure wish you guys were close by because I don't know anyone around here that bow hunts and it would be nice to have you on my little piece of land to watch you and maybe learn a few things. I have been practicing a lot and watching and reading everything that I can get my hands on but experienced people are hard to beat. Thanks!!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by not the dogs
Thanks for the tips. I have notice that when they look at me and then put their heads down, they just about always pop their heads back up to see if I'm moving. !
Yep, they think they are being sneaky. A stalking mountain lion moves when a deer has its head down feeding. The deer put their head down trying to trick you into moving.

I've had several deer walk close by and look at me this year. They did not spook, and even walked right under me but I'm not sure why they saw me. I just sat still, I wasn't going to shoot them anyway. Sometimes the sun shines off your bow or your face. I wasn't wearing my facemask at the time.

Also make sure that if the sun is behind you that your shadow isn't falling near the deer. You know how it grabs your attention when a bird's shadow falls on you.

One thing you can do is draw when the deer is behind a bush, and make your best deer sound with your mouth when it comes out the other side. They will stop and look at you. The downside is they look at you, better chance to jump the string. I missed a buck sunday morning. I had to make a lot of noise to get him stopped, he was trotting past. I shot and figured he was dead, but my arrow was clean and there was no blood. Not sure how I managed to miss, but he might have been moving before I shot.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

Nice tip Prairie Wolf. Now thats something simple that I should have thought of but it has really never come to mind. Sorry about the miss Sunday morning but at least it was a clean miss. I know that stuff like that happens to the best of them. You'll get him next time. Keep the tips coming and I hope that everyone has a great season!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the club. Bow hunting is far more rewarding and challenging than gun hunting IMO (no disrespect intended for gun hunters...I also gun hunt but it's nowhere near as challenging as bow hunting). One key piece of advice for a beginner is to know what shots you can and can't take. I've seen a lot of beginners take 'gun' shots...shots that they could pull off with a gun but will end in failure with a bow. This includes quartering-to shots that usually result in a wounded deer. Know how to get your arrow into, and through, the vitals, and you're on the right track.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I noticed in both your scenarios you were trying to draw back on the deer when they noticed you. I know its not always a perfect scenario when a deer comes in but I also know from my own experiences and helping others get started in bowhunting that your first reaction when a deers coming is to get the bow up and get it drawn back.

When Im hunting with someone new to the sport and they get busted trying to draw back often I tell em to just watch a deer they dont plan to shoot as it comes past thier stand and count how many times the deers actually looking completely away from them as opposed to having its head up and being alert.Because if you really watch a relaxed deer they will generally give you several oppurtunities to draw undetected, they put thier head down and nibble on stuff, stop and turn to check thier backtrail, stop with thier head behind a tree or brush, etc... and they do it often.These are much better times to draw then when they are walking straight towards you down a trail.Again, I know its not always possible but 9 out of 10times the deer will give you at least one good chance to get drawn.They will often ignor you if your not moving, if they see movement theyre gonna be on high alert and be gone.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

As every one has said try to minimize your movement and mve when the deer are distracted or looking in an opposite direction. I'm 17 and this is also my first year bowhunting. I've been hunting in a camp chair on the ground and have had plenty of oppurtunities. I shot my first doe at thirty yards and when I went to track her I had a button buck walking through the woods so I just stood there in plain sight as still as I could and he walked up to about ten yards then turned and went on his way. I also had a fork at five yards this year while I was sitting on the fence line and he had no clue I was there until he caught my scent line. As long as you keep your movement to a minimum and have a good wind you'll be fine. Good luck for the rest of the season
Old 11-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

lots of long post...short story, less and slower movements, never let em see your eyes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.