Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
new respect for bow hunters >

new respect for bow hunters

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new respect for bow hunters

Old 11-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all of the tips. The deer do stop and eat and seem pretty comfortable. I guess that I just need to wait on the right time to draw. As far as shot selection, The only shots that I feel comfortable with is a broadside or slightly quartering away. That's the only shots that I take with a gun too. Maybe I'm to cautious but 8 yards is as far as I have ever had one run with a gun shot and I figure as long as this works with a gun maybe I won't have to track one too far with a bow. It would really make me sick to lose one but I know that things happen no matter what your weapon is.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by not the dogs
I figure as long as this works with a gun maybe I won't have to track is.
Lol @ tthis
Old 11-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Bowhunting a super rush. Like many of the guys have said you need to learn to read them and how/when you can move. Alot of times if your in a tree with your bow upright in front of you, you can draw with them right there. Long as they dont know about you yet, but even if theyre looking at you, as long as you dont spread out so to speak so they notice two arms & legs you can get away with alot. They are very very curious and as long as they dont KNOW what you are you might be surprised at what they tolerate.
Course sometimes you dont move a muscle & they spook & are gone like the wind.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Another good tip is to learn a deer's body language. For instance if a deer looks at you at close range, try not to make eye contact. A lot of times deer will look directly at you. But if you don't move and your camo is a good pattern for the area, they will seem to look through you. Remember, you're in their living room. If they put their head down, don't think all is OK. They may just jerk it right back up to see if they can catch you moving. Now if they put their head down and flick their tail - that's a sign of a relaxed deer. So just bide your time and move only when you can't see their eyes, or if they are focused on something else - another deer, passing car, etc.
Also, constantly but slowly scan the surroundings for parts of deer. It is much better to already have your bow in hand and waiting when it comes into range then to try and go through all the motions of standing, getting your bow off the hanger, drawing, etc. Getting away with all that movement means you have to move at a speed that would make a snail look fast.

X2............I wear face paint and I think that helps quite a bit. Always place your stand where the sun is not hitting right on you. If it is they will most likely pick you off. I put my billfold, truck keys, and cell phone in Zip Lock bags and never wear a leather belt that I've worn all year. I also wear rubber knee high boots that I use for hunting only and watch deer walk right where I have and never spook. No matter what you do to control scent they will smell you if the wind is not right. If it's not right for the stand I want to hunt I go to another stand or stay home.