Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
muzzy performance >

muzzy performance

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

muzzy performance

Old 11-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default muzzy performance

Sunday night I shot a nice 8pt at 20 yds standing broadside from about 15ft in treestand. He ran aprox 50 and fell dead. Now this is what bothers me, I hqve shot several deer in years past with the fuzzy 75gr and have had good luck with them. The past two years i have been shooting the slick trick 85gr, for the sake of practicing shooting broadheads at my block target the fuzzy practice blades are more user friendly. So the kill shot was a pass through and bury deep in the dirt. There was hardly a blood trail at all. I found him cause i knew where he fell but i always like to follow the blood trail.anyway. there was only a few drops every few feet on the ground. If I hadn't of known the he fell dead I would have been worried, esp since it was going to rain heavy the next day. I know the muzzy 75 only has a 1" cut but I don't recall having this much lack of blood on the ground before. when I dressed him out there seemed to be a gallon of blood pouring out, and a nice hole through both lungs and top of heart. That Is what confused me even more, y didn't the bloodshed come out of the body after the shot?

entrence

exit

Last edited by outdoorsmen; 11-08-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Spike

i have shot 100 and 125 3 blade muzzys and the 125 have always done better. they have a longer ferrule so the blade angle isn't as steep so there is more cutting edge which i belive does more damage. but like you said the smaller heads do the job and if they fall in sight who needs a blood trail
Old 11-08-2011, 04:36 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Most of my deer bleed heavily and are easy to trail. I have used the 3 blade 100 grain Muzzy for years. harvested a nice doe with them last night. great trail.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Weird

I shot a doe last month, muzzy 100gr 3 blade.
Slightly quartering away, high shot through both shoulders.
Bled immediately and the entire 85 yards until she expired.
Pic shows the exit wound..

Maybe this time of year the buck's blood was somewhere else
Old 11-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is strange...makes no sense to me. I shoot Muzzy 125 grain heads. I have had nothing but adequate blood trails with them. Slick Tricks are good heads though...should have had it pumping out. I reckon it was due to the high entrance and exit wounds (looks like they are from the pictures, anyway) being above the blood level in the cavity of the deer. Who knows?
Old 11-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

So there wasnt an elevation where the deer was stand?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Spike

+1 on what Bible Man had posted. High entry point and an exit near the shoulder (seems to be based on the pic). It's amazing sometimes what these animals can do once they are hit and how these wounds leave very little sign. Congrats on the recovery and your success this year!
Old 11-10-2011, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

I would say the wounds were too high to leave a huge blood trail. If he died within 50 yards the broadhead did its' job. I have had to trail deer that left a speck of blood every 10 yards so doesn't sound like the blood trail was THAT bad. Glad you got him...lets see some pics of his rack!

Last edited by sgtbowhunter; 11-10-2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes! Let's see that rack!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with the previous posts...I shoot muzzy 100's and have killed many deer with them....IMO, they are the best blade on the market...(yes, that includes the rage head!!)....I would not trust any other broadhead. The penetration is awesome, and the blood trails are fantastic!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.