Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 mechanical broadheads >

mechanical broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

mechanical broadheads

Old 08-13-2003, 01:55 PM

Default mechanical broadheads

I have switched to spitfire mechanical broadheads. I havn' t had a chance to use them yet but I was reading about broadheads in a mgazine and read that mechanical' s take a lot of KE to get a pass through. I' ve taken one deer with my bow set up the way it is but was shooting fixed blades had complete past through no problem. Just wondering if any one else has penatration problems with mechanical broadheads.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mechanical broadheads

A lot depends on how much " juice" your turning loose!

Spitfires may require a little more kinetic energy to push through a deer than say a Snyper or a Steel head, so to be on the safe side you want to know what your set up is generating in kinetic energy.

Most feel a person needs a minimum of 50-55 foot pounds of KE to get positive consistent results on whitetails using a mechanical. Depending on the cut, and the style of the head even these numbers could be lacking in my opinion. There are other varibles, but that gives you an idea of what you want to look at.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:14 PM

If your bow packs some punch, you should have no problem driving straight through a deer. Just be careful on angling shots, they can give mechanical shooters lots of problems.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the answers a little more info on my set up. I' m shooting a Martin Couger Magnum at 58 pouns of pull, a 26.75 in carbon at 254 grains, and the spitfire 100 grain broadhead.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

With that setup I would stick with fixed blade heads. []

Old 08-13-2003, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Antler Eater.
Is switched to carbon arrows a few years ago and completly stopped having passthroughs. I now only use them with aluminum arrows. I don' t know my K.E. or true F.P.S. but I shoot 74 lbs. with a 31" draw and believe me when I say my carbons are FAST!!! I never had problems with alum. arrows and passthroughs even when I was shooting my old bow that seemed to just lob the arrows in, and that was with vortex 125' s with 2-3/4 cutting diameter. From the deer I have shot with spitfires I believe they need even more K.E. than the vortex heads.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stick to fixed! There is no reason to take a chance. You' re not going to gain anything by using them.

Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2003, 12:34 AM

I' d like to know the tests showing the amount of energy needed to open a mech head. Of course it would be different for different heads, but all this talk about NEEDING a " LOT" of energy has me thinking...and questioning.
I guess we need to shoot a few fixed blades through some leather (as a comparison) and shoot some mech heads through leather. Have a chronograph on the OTHER side of the leather and measure speed (and with a little math...the resulting KE) the arrows have after going through (opening up) the leather.
PERSONALLY, I kinda like mech heads....but the group I hunt with doesn' t beleive in them...so I shoot fixed. When in Rome.....[8D]
Old 08-14-2003, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the answers a little more info on my set up. I' m shooting a Martin Couger Magnum at 58 pouns of pull, a 26.75 in carbon at 254 grains, and the spitfire 100 grain broadhead.
What' s your draw length?

I wouldn' t be so fast to steer him away from mechs! I had a Cougar Magnum with a 29" draw set at 60lbs with a 378 grain arrow and I was shooting 273. Thats plenty of kinetic energy for mechs on whitetails!