Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sharpening Steelforce BH' s?? >

Sharpening Steelforce BH' s??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sharpening Steelforce BH' s??

Old 08-12-2003, 12:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Sharpening Steelforce BH' s??

I am thinking about using the 2-blade Steelforce Prem. 100 gr heads, I had a supplier issue with the Magnus Stingers it seems they are on Back Order and no end in sight when they may arrive at any of the shops I have tried (which is a lot)...boo. Any hew, I talked with my proshop owner today and he mentioned I should really give the steelforce head a try and thought I would be very pleased. Since this is the summer of shooting BH' s into targets, foam...the fence[][:' (]. I told him to ship them to me for a run. I am the type that must shoot all my arrows and BH' s several times into my targets at all hunting distances prior to being deemed acceptable to go hunting. Given my obsession with being prepared, what is the best way (if I choose to use the steelforce) to hone and resharpen for the QUIVER??? In the past I have resolved myself to fixed heads with replacement blades and never had a lot of luck resharpening most blades. I have read a number use these heads, so I figured what better place to ask but here!!!

Magnus said use a Accusharp (which works dandy BTW), Steelforce says a Lansky(which I have) or there grinding wheel-don' t have time to get one of them as nobady suggests or stocks them anywhere near here that I have found.

So what is the best/easiest way to sharpen the Steelforce head so it is ready to hunt with?

Also if you want to put a plug in for Steelforce heads, here is your chance. I never used them prior and would like to hear any and all opinions on tuning, flight, results...all that good stuff!!!!

Thanks
Old 08-12-2003, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sharpening Steelforce BH' s??

They are very sharp, fly like field points in a well tuned bow and go through deer like they were made of butter...the deer, not the heads .

If you have the Lansky, you have your answer. Just give them an e-mail to see which angle they recommend.

Very good broadheads.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:29 AM

A good friend of mine from PA tells me he has 24 pass throughs on 26 deer with Steelforce heads. He shoots fingers at 52 lbs 26" draw.........so he isn' t pushing 300 fps that' s for sure!!

I am going to try these heads this year as well........I can' t find Stingers anywhere and I want a better blood trail then my WASP mechanical left last year.......it did a great job, I just want more blood to follow.

I may be wrong but I believe Steelforce will resharpen the heads for you if you send them in.......hard to imagine getting a better edge at home then they would put on for you. See if this is an option for you.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steelforce does offer lifetime " free sharpening" , just $2.95 or so for up to 9 heads, main blades only. However, they only perform this service during certain months of the year, not during or just before hunting seasons when they are busy making more broadheads to sell.

But it' s a nice and unique off season service.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys. I read that lifetime resharpening, however you still must be able to get them field ready, so sharpening at home is a must.

Rangeball I will drop them a line to get the degree on a lansky! Have you ever sharpened them with a Lansky? how long does it take? Also, what stones/method?
Old 08-12-2003, 11:52 AM

Last year was the first year I shot the Steelforce. I took a dandy 10 point on Nov 9th.

In terms of sharpening, I am not a bow hunting guru, so I purchased a half dozen for target and half dozen for field. There may be a subtle difference in flight(?) from one head to the next, but I have not noticed it.

The guy who does all of my archery work is a gentlemans gentleman and I have known him for many years. He has been invloved with archery and related equipment for over 50 years and highly recommended these heads...for what it' s worth.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the titanium blades, so my experience may not mirror yours, but it didn' t take very long. I used the shallowest angle with the smoothest stone. Really just needed touched up, not re-edged.

Good Luck.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just got a reply from Bill at Steelforce he said 17% and with the fine stone (Diamond preferablly). Interesting he stated that their heads will require now need to be touched up if shot into foam a few times and actually up to 12 times, still shaving sharp! Anybody follow these instructions?

Thanks again Rangeball for your comments.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot mine into my 3d deer about 6 times and they are still razor sharp. If I could get these heads to fly good past 25 yards I will try them. I think I need to increase my arrow weight as my arrows are going 300 fps with a 400 gr arrow. Maybe that is why. But I will keep trying to shoot and adjust my bow till I find the right tuning.

Brian
Old 08-12-2003, 08:39 PM

Skeeter, that' s about right. Like I said, the six I use for practice on a foam target are still sharp as all heck, but I still have the other six " cherries" for the real deal :-)

I like em alot.....