Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 horton steelforce 150? >

horton steelforce 150?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

horton steelforce 150?

Old 01-27-2007, 08:27 PM

Default horton steelforce 150?

does anyone know if a horton steelforce 150 is a quality xbow?
and is capable of taking a whitetail?
Old 01-27-2007, 08:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: horton steelforce 150?

ORIGINAL: bendeer23

does anyone know if a horton steelforce 150 is a quality xbow?
new crossbow user .
Old 01-27-2007, 09:04 PM

yes it is capatible of taking whitetail deer . i have one and i just got it but horton mfg told me that it would and it can take a hog.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Quality is realitive. Compared to a custom bow? No. Compared to a Chinese bow? Better.
It is truly an entry model. Not what I would call a serious deer hunting machine but assuming at least 250 ft/sec or there abouts and accuracy of 3 - 4 inches at 30 yards then I would call it good enough for deer. If you can attain the max speed which I believe is 240 then keep the distance under 25 and use cut on contact broadheads and you should be ok.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I posted earlier that this CB was junk! To be fair you would have to try each one and see if it held up, some were just thrown together and others were made right. Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings when i rag about different CB's. So with that i come forward and say i am sorry to any CB hunter who has one that is working well for them! Hope you take many more deer with it!
Old 01-28-2007, 12:33 AM

Asking that is like walking out of wal-mart with a 75 dollar composite stock 22 cal rim fire and asking if it can kill squirrels. The answer is yes, with out a doubt. Now ask if it is a good bow that will hold up to lots of shooting and be a tack driver year after year, and the answer is no IMO. That bow is made as bait IMO. It is designed to get the a undecided guy to buy it and "get his feet wet" in the CB world. I do not think that CB is one that is made to be put through years of service and hold up for a long time, maybe it is, but I just don't see it. If you were to say you got it and had plans to go out a hunt, then I would encourage you to have a good time and enjoy the hunt, and with practice you will be successful. But after time I think you will get the pushing a moped by a new car lot feeling, andafter a whilewant to upgrade.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:47 AM

dnk
my crossbow is 150 lb draw weight and it shoot's 240 fps. some of use poor people don't have the money to buy a cb that shoot's 300 or higher fps. when your on a fixed income you get what you can. also i just don't get why other hunter's put eachother down by what they hunt with. when you put your fellow hunter's down your just making peta happy. we all need to help eachother and gain ground on the anti's.

just my thought's of the hunting world. hope you don't take this wrong. i read my manuel and i believe horton would'nt sell these cb's if they would'nt do the job.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: indianahunter1

dnk
my crossbow is 150 lb draw weight and it shoot's 240 fps. some of use poor people don't have the money to buy a cb that shoot's 300 or higher fps. when your on a fixed income you get what you can. also i just don't get why other hunter's put eachother down by what they hunt with. when you put your fellow hunter's down your just making peta happy. we all need to help eachother and gain ground on the anti's.

just my thought's of the hunting world. hope you don't take this wrong. i read my manuel and i believe horton would'nt sell these cb's if they would'nt do the job.

Indianahunter1 i am sorry that you feel that people were putting down the bow which you use. I did not see it that way and I am one that dos not like that happening at all. I also know all about being on a limited budget. The question asked was if the bow
if a horton steelforce 150 is a quality xbow?
and the members tried to answer with thier personal opinions. They also said basicly that if it was all you could get to hunt, then go and enjoy the hunt, that it would be capible to taking deer. Actually a 150lb crossbow with 20" 2117 or 2216 arrows shooting in the 260-280 fps range has more then enough power (KE) to take moose.

But the truth is that if you purchase this bow and expect it to be as dependable as say an excalibur, you will be greatly disapointed. They can be sold cheaper because they use cheaper componants and does not have the fit and finish as the better bows.

I will always advise someone to purchase the bettter bows if they can, even if that means they have to wait longer to save the extra money that they would need. The reason is, the cheaper bows usually are not as plesant to shoot, therefore new shooters could have a distastefull first experiance to the world of crossbows. Also, bows like the Excalibur bows will hold their value for resale, just try to purchase a used model. The cheaper models will usually lose alot of their value after you buy it.

Good luck in what ever tool you choose to use.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 AM

grumpytom
i did'nt mean for it to sound like people was putting my cb down. i am very sorry i am still learning this cb stuff and thank's for telling me this info. i was just stating what the owner's manuel said in it. i was looking at the excal and they are sweet . i know how cheap stuff last and i guess that's why people buy them . i will keep learning. dnk i am sorry if it sounded like i was preaching and i thought you guy's were puting my cb down that is'nt the case . sorry if i made you guy's upset with me and i really did'nt mean to . you guy's has welcomed me with open arm's and i would like to keep it that way . your friend in the crossbow world james
Old 01-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually I think it might have been designed with certain things in mind,it is very tough and really excellant for fishing [bow fishing] when it comes to putting a really heavy arrow out accurately [like solid fiberglass] it is very good also if you hunt at shorter ranges and very big animals with heavy arrows its ok but it is not designed to shoot real flat as are some popular ones. Lee

Quick Reply: horton steelforce 150?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.