Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 SteelForce Broadheads? >

SteelForce Broadheads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SteelForce Broadheads?

Old 12-09-2003, 06:59 PM

Default SteelForce Broadheads?

Hey hunters,

I am looking for a new broadhead. I have lost 3 deer this season. Right now I shooting muzzy's, one partner is shooting thunderheads, and the other, wasp. We hunt in a place where the deer are really fat and seem to be having trouble getting pass throughs. These steelforce look really mean just wondering about others experience with them
Old 12-09-2003, 08:01 PM

Default RE: SteelForce Broadheads?

If you are getting bad penetration with Muzzy heads your setup is most likely not tuned properly and you are getting poor arrow flight. Unless you are shooting a slow speed bow puting out minimal KE. Even then Muzzy's should do the job.

Having said all that I have witnessed and butchered 2 deer shot with SteelForce 4 blade Sabertooth heads this year and all I can say is WOW!!!!! The damage done by these heads is devastating. The wound channels were large and wide open leaving lots of blood to follow and the deer went 50 yards combined. One was a passthrough the chest and out the opposite shoulder and the other was a spine shot that completely destroyed the vertebrae and dropped the deer in it's tracks. Both were shot with bows pulling around 63lbs and shooting 230-240 fps.

The Steelforce heads performed outstanding IMO on deer. I was amazed at the tissue damage as I butchered the deer.

Make sure your setup is not the problem before tossing the Muzzy's. If you still want a head that will cut deeper for you take a look at the Magnus Stingers. They fly like darts and will go through a deer and the tree behind it and the tree behind that and.......well you get it
Old 12-09-2003, 08:27 PM

I have had great luck with the Steelforce broadheads too. I have heard that the tips are soft and can bend but have never witnessed this myself. I have re-sharpened them and used them again also. I had two pass-thrus last year with them on a buck and a doe and both piled up within earshot. Don't ask me why I mess with success but this year I shot a buck and a doe with the Bullet razorring broadheads and they also were awesome in damage and quick stopping pass thru's. Now for (dont laugh at my "love trying somthing new syndrome") late season bow I'm going to shoot the new Montec G-5's. They look awesome, I can't wait to get one bloody.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like atlasman said, check your set-up to make sure you're tuned properly. If you're not, then you're setting yourself up for trouble which can manifest itself in any number of ways--like not getting pass-thru's. I switched to Muzzy's last year after reading all the positive threads about them. This year, using them, I have had 3 of my 4 deer go 45 yards and the fourth made it about 75 yards. Two of the shots were pass-thru's, but shot placement had a lot to do with the other two not making it all the way through.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steel force heads are very good and super sharp. They fly great as well. I do agree with the others though, if the Muzzys are not getting good penetration you have more problems than just what broadhead to choose. It could be tuning issues, bad shot placement or a combination of both. I have found that Muzzy makes one of the best broadhead on the market, and in general will penetrate as well or better than most other heads of the same size.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:14 AM

I used steelforce to take my first this year and the spine shot dropped her in her tracks. I do agree how the tips seem to bend sometimes.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Steelforce heads are great, as long as you put them through the ribcage. Of course, you never want to shoot at any bone heavier than ribs, but stuff happens. I think the Magnus Stinger is a stronger design and would chose it over Steelhead, just in case.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cotton,

At last count I had used 26 different broadheads to successfully harvest deer. Muzzy, Wasp, and of course SteelForce are included in that group. If the arrow is shot out of a well tuned bow and put in the right place you won't be able to tell the difference in the results between those three. In other words the broadhead isn't the problem in your dilemma. All three are quality heads.

More than likely shot placement is the critical issue with your problem. Almost any modern bow will compeletely penetrate a whitetail if the arrow is put in the right spot. If you feel the problem is in your equipment give us the particulars of what your shooting, (for example; bow, poundage, draw length, arrow weight, arrow speed, tuning technique) and we will be able to help.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

These guys are right. Your problems have absolutely nothing to do with broadhead selection. It's either set up or shot placement. I'd place my bets on shot placement.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:04 PM

What pundage are you shooting??
I suggest you look into Grim Reapers--pass throughs every time!

Quick Reply: SteelForce Broadheads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.