Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Peep sight installation Question(s) >

Peep sight installation Question(s)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Peep sight installation Question(s)

Old 08-06-2003, 08:38 AM

Default Peep sight installation Question(s)

Is it that hard to install a peep sight on your bow?

I recently had my bow retuned major overhaul Dynamic column loaded, laser tuned, new string the whole 9 yards. I have never used a peep before but I have videotaped my form and the one serious flaw I have is anchoring my head/sighting it. I have tried my head more turned my head more straight to the target. I think I need the peep to anchor how I look at my pins and want to try the peep. Or should I let my local shop put it on and not deal with the hassle of doing it myself. Other possible problems?

I shoot about 50 arrows once a week and groups are 3-4 inches at 20 yards but I really would rather see them much tighter before the season is here. If I make the change I really need to do it now to get into form and a comfort level rather than blow the opportunity come the season. I want to successfully harvest deer not miss or wound them and 3-4 inches is way too much margin for error for me.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:03 AM

Default RE: Peep sight installation Question(s)

Unless you have a press, take it to a pro shop. A peep will cut your groups in half, and they are not difficult to get used to.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Peeps are sweet, have the pro shop install it, and make sure you get one large enough to easily see through in low light conditions.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:41 AM

As others have said, a peep sight will dramatically impact your accuracy. Have the pro shop do it for you and with a little bit of shooting you will be used to it.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:14 PM

I would have to agree with just about everyone here. Let the pro shop do it. They do it so often that it' s second nature to most of them, and they have developed tricks of the trade tying it in, ect. ect.
B
Old 08-09-2003, 03:34 PM

My advice is forget the traditional peep sight, especially if you are experiencing problems with your form. Install the Timberline Archery " No Peep" . Its a much better system, and most likely you' ll want to install it yourself since it has to be adjusted to fit your individual shooting form. It has made all the difference in my own shooting. I' ll never go back to a traditional peep.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:03 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

I agree with those who' ve said to have a shop install a peep... at least the first time. But eventually you should get a press and start doing some of your own work. (Pro shops aren' t always open and/or nearby where I live.) Plus you might need to do a little tweaking as the string stretches, install silencers, etc. Even though I eventually bought a full-size press, for many years I got by with a $40 Bowmaster portable.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:35 PM

Let the pro shop do it. I don' t like the type with the rubber band, just don' t trust it not to break and it being aimed at my eye. The peep can be installed so it will be correct when at full draw. it will take a few tries to get it perfect but worth the work. If you use it for hunting use a large hole for good visability in low light.