Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Color Blind

Old 08-05-2003, 09:59 PM

Default Color Blind

I am red/green color blind. I have stayed away from bow hunting due to lack of confidence in trailing a stuck deer. Due to the advancement in equipment, I am going to give bow hunting a try this year. If I make a good shot, there shouldn' t be much trailing involved. I worry though about making a not so true shot and having a long track to make. I can see fresh (wet) blood if I happen to look right out but if the blood starts to dry it is impossible for me to see it. Are there any other color blind hunters on this board that have any tips on trailing. I usually hunt alone, so I won' t have any extra eyes to help me.

I can' t see my red and green pins very well but the one pin idea, my yellow one, solves that problem.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2003, 10:02 PM

Default RE: Color Blind

Hey there 3,
There is a spray that illuminates the blood, but other than that.. i dont know of any type of product.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:15 PM

Hey there 3,
There is a spray that illuminates the blood, but other than that.. i dont know of any type of product.
I have heard of that stuff but I can' t imagine walking through the woods with a spray bottle skeeting it on the ground. But I think I will check it out anyway. If anyone has used this stuff or the heat sencing device plese submit your opinions.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:13 AM
nub

3: I have a color blind buddy who is actually quite good at tracking. He can spot the wet stuff pretty fast. On the dry spots, he' ll rub a bit of spit on suspected blood and watch if it smears. Hydrogen peroxide will foam up when contacting blood. You don' t have to go around " skeetin" the woods. Just the questionable spots.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

A lot of blood trailing comes down to woodsmanship. Know what to do when the blood trail stops or a bad arrow placement happens, is what makes a bad situation into a successful one. My outfitting/hunting partner is color blind in the same fashion you are. I poke fun at him all the time when we are trailing but a better deer trailer you' ll never find. Because of his limitations in color vision, he' s learned to trail deer by scuffed leaves, broken twigs, paths of least resistance and just common sense. When the blood quits he' s the guy you want out front, otherwise he lags behind swearing he can' t see the blood we walking past.

Many of the sprays and manufactured aids will help you when the going gets tough but nothing beats a well placed arrow knowing what to do on bad hits and good woodsmanship.