Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are Bobcats color-blind? >

Are Bobcats color-blind?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are Bobcats color-blind?

Old 12-23-2004, 02:21 PM
Spike

Default Are Bobcats color-blind?

I haven't seen that many bobcats in the wild but this season I had one come off a hill and pass by my treestand at 10 Yards. This was the first day of Gun Season and I was wearing my hunter's orange. I haven't been able find out if they are indeed color-blind or if this is an isolated occurance.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Are Bobcats color-blind?

I may be mistaken ( I was once) that I don't believe cats are color blind. If I'm not mistaken, that is why their eyes shine red similiar to humans...but I will be corrected if I am wrong you can bet your arse on that....and I'll accept being wrong because I indeed don't know as well....
Old 12-23-2004, 05:44 PM
rmw

I've never understood how they would know if any animal is color blind ? Is there something diff in the makeup of the eyes ? My Grandpa was color blind and he could pick out game in the woods before most people . I guess it had some advantages
Old 12-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Spike

I, for one, don't want to give any of them an eye-test but this bobcat came off the hill where I was sitting in a tree and it slowly came down to where he was about the same level as I was and he paused on a log and looked one way then the other. I was sure he was looking right at me but he kept coming closer and closer. I drew on him and made a sucking sound with my lips. He stopped giving me a good shot but I let down and watched as he went on his way.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

scientists can tell how animals see by the rods ands cones that makeup of the eye

or something like that
Old 12-24-2004, 09:32 AM

rmw, take a look at the subject directly above this one (right now) called "Interesting study on deer vision". I had your same question until I read that (or I should say skimmed it - it is a long article).

Edit - stupid me. Now that I've posted an answer, this one moved to top, of course. The Deer vision one is now further down, unless someone answers it next.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

They must be colour blind ,I seen one wearing a pink sweater the other day {WalMart] LMAO

nubo
Old 12-26-2004, 09:37 PM

They must be colour blind ,I seen one wearing a pink sweater the other day {WalMart] LMAO
That is too damn funny!
Old 12-27-2004, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

I'm under the impression that predators can see color & prey animals cant. The reasoning explained to me was that a deer for instance doesnt need to identify what it sees as much as a predator, it just needs to see somethings moving & then they can decide to bolt or hang out. They because of their type of vision can see movement very well & can also see real good in low light. A predator needs to know what it sees so as to figure if its something it wants to catch for dinner. Probably it saw you up there & didnt feel threatened or thought you were an orange blob that wasn't fit to eat.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Nubo I think I've got alot of color blind guys at my school. Where I go to college alot of guys wear pink button down shirts with the color popped. But for some reason the ladies talk to them, but then trash on my camo hats and stuff. Go figure.
Maybe I need some sort of mossy oak pink break up. Anyway Like moose said deer have rods in their eyes and we humans have cones, this is what i read in a book once. The rods gather light better so they can see like 10 times better than us at night, but not in color.

jim

Quick Reply: Are Bobcats color-blind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.