Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Smart phone video\range finder sight >

Smart phone video\range finder sight

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Smart phone video\range finder sight

Old 09-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by leenk
Actually, I have just had an ever better idea, as I have watched Your video and thought this through.

Why not use the camera and the application as Your actual bowsight??? Replace the mechanical sight completely!

Calibrate it for distances, make it multy-dot, or auto-adjust, or make it all manually/digitally adjustable and with a decent quality zoom-lens, dimming, you could have a great bow-sight, that doubles as a bow-camera?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HTC-Touch-HD2-HD...item43a186a2cb

Imagine all of us geezers with diminishing eyesight flocking to the digital age?

:-)

I need a much improved video for the mounts that are available on fhbh - I just threw together some footage I had at the time. It was in the darkest of cover(video enhancement software can correct this),the music doesn't match and was selected for the length of the clips,we have a pile of illuminated nocks now to use for filming etc...I just don't have the time to put it all together to build and sell these things.
Funny thing is, people from all over are buying them as much as people who don't get it are poking fun at the idea. The reality is that in a few short years we will be able to look back at these posts and laugh because it will become the standard.

I remember when people scoffed at laser range finders.The Vandetta is available this year. I also remember when people said that they wouldn't drink milk out of anything but a glass jug...'nuff said and I am a packaging guy!
Being a manufacturing engineer for my career (now laid off) I have been enjoying the comments and rhetoric of late in regard to technology and what I have brought to the table- outdoors people really don't embrace change unless they see a Drury , a Bill Dance or another pro hunter endorse a product(take scent lok for example- a total lie and joke that has been bought by us folks)..times are changing,let's use the tools in our arsenal to hunt and video our experiences. I wish that I had my first hunts(and all of them for that matter) recorded. I can take the same mount off of my bow and put it on my shotty and film an exciting dove hunt( and intend to again next week).
Most of what I have in regard to hunting experience is in memory since I am in my 40's but from now on all of my stepsons hunts will be easily accessible and from his point of view to watch over and over again and to share at any time he wants,from his cell phone.

Has anyone read the article on page 39 in the October Outdoor Life? If you want to get your kids involved, let's get 'er done!
Seriously there isn't any better way to get kids involved. Buy an inexpensive Kodak PlaySport or use your cell phone that you already have and mount it to your kids rig-whatever they are hunting and your rig also.You might find that you enjoy it too!

Last edited by xdamageincx; 09-23-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Honestly damage, i give you props for what you've done. Looks nuts. But don't you think it's a little bulky?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Spike

Default depends

Originally Posted by HardwoodHunter
Honestly damage, i give you props for what you've done. Looks nuts. But don't you think it's a little bulky?
Look back at the pics I posted- they weren't really at a good angle.
It really depends.It is like having another stab weight-wise.competitive shooters have that much weight and more. I dont have to carry a gps or a bunch of other junk that I have eliminated and my bow is lighter than Bows of a few years ago and some people still carry older bows.My set up is balanced and sits in a bow holder while hunting.I don't telly notice the added half pound and I only weigh 170 .so to answer Your question....no but thanks.it looks odd but really isn't that heavy at all.it is mostly plastic and circuit boards if You think about it.I have a scale on the way and will be posting to my site how Much it weighs but if you compare the weight of the metal sight on my bow it really isn't anything.look the parts up they don't weigh much at all.

Last edited by xdamageincx; 09-23-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by xdamageincx
It really depends.It is like having another stab weight wise.Competitive shooters have that and a lot more.I dont have to carry a gps or a bunch of other junk that I have eliminated and my bow is lighter than Bows of a few years ago and some people still carry older bows.It is balanced and sits in a bow holder while I'm hunting.I don't telly notice the added half pound (my droid weighs 6 oz and the battery less than half of that then I took off one of my stab modules so we are talking a little bit of weight- it may look like a lot but you don't notice it much)and I only weigh 175 .so to answer Your question....no, but thanks.It looks odd but it really isn't that heavy at all.it is mostly plastic and circuit boards if You think about it.I have a scale on the way and will be posting to my site how Much it weighs but if you compare the weight of the metal sight on my bow it really isn't anything.look the parts up they don't weigh much at all.
-ANd I am writing this in bed on my phone.My wife is has a Woman of the outdoors hunt tomorrow in Pa for pheasant and so I gotta crash early to get up and take her there for the hunt.
Plastic,aluminum and circuit boards.I could take off my stab and do the same thing and the weight would really not be much different with and without. It really looks heavy and bulky but it isn't at all.Imagine a quiver full of arrows-they weigh much more.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Spike

Not much to say, since You see the big picture, but: "if You build it, they will come"...flock...to be exact.

Do You guys realize it, that You could have a magnified view of your target, auto adjusted for range, angle(ACR) - and without a peep-hole on Your string, mabbe even a night-view?

I, for instance understand the naysayers, who care not about the social networking and the bling, believe me, I wouldn't even film my hunts for certain reasons, but the functionality of such a sight brought to it's logical conclusions is what I seek. For filming my own practice sessions is where this(or a similar, but more precise) rig and the software would be useful to me, and of course shedding poundage. No rangefinder, bow-sight, extra fps and reliability from loosing the peep, extended visibility, accuracy, and of course having the functionality already built into a smartphone(GPS, compass, phone, wifi, net(radio, tv, weather, comms) music, movies, books, - available through blue-tooth earphones, wirelessly and silently)...etc, ad nausium...

It is not written anywhere, that You have to use all the available functions at all times - is it?

I have 32 gigs of memory on my phone, music, movies, silent and loud books, you name it...have looked into dual booting yesterday, and it is possible, with some issues. It will come in time.

I monna look into camo-dipping my hunin'-phone...:-)

I don't think I could be big help to You man, aside from flinging ideas and requests at You, which You will have pouring in soon enough anyway, believe You me...:-)

So keep with it, if Your company would register an IPO , I'd buy stock tomorrow . I never thought I would say that. And the best thing, you might soon make a living at something, that You would be tinkering on anyway, when You're doing what You like doing...

Independence...nuttn' like it...:-)

Last edited by leenk; 09-23-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Spike

Default Video

I have some video of different bow hunters shooting different mounts on different bows with different equipment.It has turned out pretty well so far.
I'll be posting them on my site along with dimensions and weights of the components.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Look back at the pics I posted- they weren't really at a good angle.
It really depends.It is like having another stab weight-wise.competitive shooters have that much weight and more. I dont have to carry a gps or a bunch of other junk that I have eliminated and my bow is lighter than Bows of a few years ago and some people still carry older bows.My set up is balanced and sits in a bow holder while hunting.I don't telly notice the added half pound and I only weigh 170 .so to answer Your question....no but thanks.it looks odd but really isn't that heavy at all.it is mostly plastic and circuit boards if You think about it.I have a scale on the way and will be posting to my site how Much it weighs but if you compare the weight of the metal sight on my bow it really isn't anything.look the parts up they don't weigh much at all.
I said bulky...not heavy...
Old 09-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Spike

I said bulky...not heavy...
Just like having a stabilizer.The battery pack isn't noticeable at all and is less than 3\4 " thick. I don't notice it on my bow once I start shooting. I think( and most of the guys that are testing the mounts now) agree that a quick disco is best.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:11 AM
Fork Horn

Just like having a stabilizer.The battery pack isn't noticeable at all and is less than 3\4 " thick. I don't notice it on my bow once I start shooting. I think( and most of the guys that are testing the mounts now) agree that a quick disco is best.
My stabilizer doesnt go out 4-5 inches, up another 4-5 inches and has a 2.5x4.5in square on it.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Spike

My stabilizer doesnt go out 4-5 inches, up another 4-5 inches and has a 2.5x4.5in square on it.
It doesn't need to.
Check out the tweaks or the standard mounts @:
http://forhuntersbyhunters.blogspot.com/p/products.html

I am not sure of your needs by your post. Send us an email and we can build what you need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.