Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
How noisy are climbing tree stands? >

How noisy are climbing tree stands?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How noisy are climbing tree stands?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

i will take all saftey things to heart.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by WisconsinBowHunter
Yeah, if i died in the stand, i would die happy and at peace.
At 15yrs old you don't need to even mention dying from falling out of a deer stand. Maybe you would die happy and at peace, but think of the folks you would leave behind.

My #1 advice is to get you a harness that fits comfortably and never think of climbing the tree without it on.

Just my $0.02
Old 08-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nodog
Pass the kool aid. You must be deaf if you can't hear any noise climbing. How about the noise the cam makes closing or the noise it makes attaching to a tree. Or the noise of the belt being inserted... Tons of noise is created using a climber over a fixed stand.
If any of the above noises are taking place using a LW sit and climb, you haven't taken the time to fine tune (hockey tape wrap included) your stand, and or, become familure with it's use. A simple touch with some Vaseline does wonders for the cams. Any noise it makes while you're attaching it to the tree would be your fault, not the stands. To avoid the noise of the belt being inserted into the frame, you simply place your hand there and guide that belt in slowly/quietly. Again, practice is the key here. If you take your time climbing, you can become as quiet as a church mouse, trust me.

Last edited by early in; 08-16-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Spike

Default just my two cents

I might add just make sure the top half and bottom half have a piece of rope or something to conect them so you don't dip your feet and loose hold of the bottom piece.

I had a old Logy Bayou and the conecting rope broke on my way up and didn't know it when i got my safety all tied in my feet dipped down and my bottom piece went stright to the bottom of the tree.

I was left with the top part which was a rope going around the tree hanging on for dear life and squeezing the tree with my legs. It took me 30 min or more to get to a height where i could let go of the tree and fall safely to the ground . I was about 17 feet when i was tied in i fell about 7 feet and left the top of the climber in the tree till the next day it was a long dark and tiring climb down and i was totaly wiped out from having to squeeze the tree with my legs..

I sold it after that and learned a very important lesson . And as they say.. Don't Let This Happen To YOU!!!! Go light not heavy even if you are young snd strong because you can loose your strength very quickly when you are in a desprate situation and you life could hang in the ballance..
Old 08-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Just bought the field & Stream Primetime Lite (20lbs) from Dick's On Sale $158 Reg $229.99. Pretty quiet. With all climbers you need to practice. I had it packed up put it on my back went out the the back yard with bow in tow. set it up on a tree and climbed and was shooting in 20 minutes. 1st time with this climber, 2nd time ever using a climber.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Spike

My first stand was a cheap Hunters View Climber that I got from BPS. I got rid of it because the holes for the pins to go through and lock the cable were'nt drilled all the way through. It was loud because it took so dang loud to get the cable through the right area. It would hit on the metal hanging inside and hang up. Then trying to get the pin inserted was loud as well. Once together it was pretty quiet actually climbing.

Now I have a Lone Wolf Sit N CLimb and its awesome. So quiet setting up, very quick and easy and quiet. Its the best stand out there for the money. The only drawback is its alittle cramped with my broad shoulders, but well worth quietness.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Spike

Default climbing tree stands

I really like my climber. I used a rubber tape to prevent most noise. The only issue with a climbing tree stand is that i second guess myself on locations. With a regular hanging stand you know where you are going to sit. With the climber you have several options and sometimes that can hurt you hunt.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by early in
If any of the above noises are taking place using a LW sit and climb, you haven't taken the time to fine tune (hockey tape wrap included) your stand, and or, become familure with it's use. A simple touch with some Vaseline does wonders for the cams. Any noise it makes while you're attaching it to the tree would be your fault, not the stands. To avoid the noise of the belt being inserted into the frame, you simply place your hand there and guide that belt in slowly/quietly. Again, practice is the key here. If you take your time climbing, you can become as quiet as a church mouse, trust me.

I use a hand climb top section with a Northstar bottom section. They make noise. I'm quiet, not "absolutely silent".

"your fault" you mean for using it. I sat with one in front of me for any hour, it never made a sound till I touched it.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

My bottom section has a black ergo mat on it that makes my feet quiet and warm. It also keeps the crap that builds up on my boots from falling to the ground when the stuff dries. I'm still not "absolutely silent".
Old 08-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Spike

Packing in a climber, carrying your bow and whatever else can be a chore. Getting thru brush without a clank or two can be difficult. Make sure the tree has decent bark for your climber to get a bite. Slick bark trees should be avoided...period.

Plan you trip and your climb carefully. Forgetting something on the ground while you are half-way up is a real pain. Ask me how I know...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.