Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand? >

Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand?

Old 08-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

annika3 - I didn't read it as bragging, I read it as advice, opinions and information that although contrary to magazine belief IS true and factual.

go to bowsite and watch Pat shoot a 2000 pound range bull straight on and the arrow was sticking out its ham

penetration issues? Its ALL in the setup, and Pat wasn't using light arrows and he wasn't using light mechanical broadheads

here is the link

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...s/australia10/

Pat used an 83# Monster, 1100 grains total arrow weight and 200 gr Muzzy 2 blade Phantoms

Drop to 65 pounds and 800 grains and you can blow through any whitetail in NA with just about any shot you want to shoot.

Thing is, people love their speed and their light arrows/heads and believe the lie of KE and then they're baffled at losing animals they shouldn't have lost
Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

You guys taking those quartering too shots keep telling yourself it's alright and that it's a good shot to take and sooner or later you'll run into problems, even with 87 foot lbs of KE.

It is NOT a shot I would bragg about and certainly wouldn't go around telling other bowhunters it's a good shot to take.
That's you opinion and you are entitled to it but it is far from bragging and I certainly wasn't promoting it as a shot for all people to take. People run into problems with perfectly broadside shots all the time. Should we quit hunting all together?

If you have a tool that will reliably smash through bone and penetrate the vitals then why not take the shot? I, and some others, use the tools that will accomplish this. If you don't then don't take the shot... It's that simple.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls
That's you opinion and you are entitled to it but it is far from bragging and I certainly wasn't promoting it as a shot for all people to take. People run into problems with perfectly broadside shots all the time. Should we quit hunting all together?

If you have a tool that will reliably smash through bone and penetrate the vitals then why not take the shot? I, and some others, use the tools that will accomplish this. If you don't then don't take the shot... It's that simple.

I appreciate your opinion but I guess what I was saying that I wouldn't "promote" it as a shot take because people will take it as "I can take that shot too" and probably 99% of bowhunters don't have the setup to consistently bring down big game animals on quartering too shots.

Also, you can't compare a broadside shot with a quartering too shot and the problems that can occur. Typically a broadside shot that goes bad is the shooters fault. On a quartering too shot you have a much smaller room for error and the shooter might do everything right but hit the wrong thing in the shoulder area and you have a wounded, lost animal.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I appreciate your opinion but I guess what I was saying that I wouldn't "promote" it as a shot take because people will take it as "I can take that shot too" and probably 99% of bowhunters don't have the setup to consistently bring down big game animals on quartering too shots.
That's why I qualified my reasoning for me being able to take that shot.

On a quartering too shot you have a much smaller room for error and the shooter might do everything right but hit the wrong thing in the shoulder area and you have a wounded, lost animal.
You would have the exact same size target on a quartering away shot at the same angle.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

probably 99% of bowhunters don't have the setup to consistently bring down big game animals on quartering too shots.
a huge problem in today's world

Typically a broadside shot that goes bad is the shooters fault
its always the shooters fault - take responsibility for your shots, you took it, man up to it when it goes bad you know?

tell me ...... why would you intentionally shoot equipment that is NOT designed to be the best penetrating broadhead/arrow combo you can have? I mean, that's the whole point of having them, to deliver into and through the animal whatever the hit with a short recovery and quick kill

we all know mechanicals have poor pentrating qualities, we all know by now KE sucks as a bowhunting measurement and we all know super heavy and FOC loaded arrows with COI heads are the best at what they do

why shoot anything BUT those? Any reasonable, rational answers ?
Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ranger77
we all know mechanicals have poor pentrating qualities, we all know by now KE sucks as a bowhunting measurement and we all know super heavy and FOC loaded arrows with COI heads are the best at what they do

Sure, heavy arrows with a high FOC% will flat out penetrate better. Just about any bonehead knows that. As to your other two statements I've got to call BS. My mechs are 1 3/4" three blade Grim Reapers. Just so you know Grim Reapers are one of those evil, non-penetrating, over the top types of mechanical heads. Unfortunately for guys like you who would have the world believe otherwise, they penetrate just as good as your cut-on-contact fixed blade heads. In fact, if you've ever not had a complete pass through then statistically they out-penetrate your COC fixed blade heads. Jump up and down, stomp, scream, rant and rave all you want. My mechs penetrate just as good as your COC fixed blades.

I keep seeing you mention the "Lie that is Kinetic Energy" (your words from another post). What in the world is going on with that? Jeez dude, did someone preaching Kinetic Energy piss in your Wheaties or something? All it is is a method of measuring the amount of force at impact and regardless of how you feel, it is not USELESS in bowhunting.

Last edited by LittleChief; 08-10-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ranger77
a huge problem in today's world

its always the shooters fault - take responsibility for your shots, you took it, man up to it when it goes bad you know?

tell me ...... why would you intentionally shoot equipment that is NOT designed to be the best penetrating broadhead/arrow combo you can have? I mean, that's the whole point of having them, to deliver into and through the animal whatever the hit with a short recovery and quick kill

Sorry but don't throw all mechanicals in the same basket. That would be like taking all fixed and throwing them in the same basket and you know they're not created equal.

I shoot Rage mechanicals because I have had 100% passthroughs using them, they give me huge holes for great blood trails and they fly truer than a fixed under ALL HUNTING CONDITIONS which includes:

1. Wind
2. Torque on the bow
3. Bad form
4. Bad release
5. Heavy clothes
6. Holding the bow drawn for a long time
7. Unusual stance on the treestand or blind or if you are spot and stalking

All of that is enough reason for me.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:47 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by annika3
Sorry but don't throw all mechanicals in the same basket. That would be like taking all fixed and throwing them in the same basket and you know they're not created equal.

I shoot Rage mechanicals because I have had 100% passthroughs using them, they give me huge holes for great blood trails and they fly truer than a fixed under ALL HUNTING CONDITIONS which includes:

1. Wind
2. Torque on the bow
3. Bad form
4. Bad release
5. Heavy clothes
6. Holding the bow drawn for a long time
7. Unusual stance on the treestand or blind or if you are spot and stalking

All of that is enough reason for me.
at 40dollars for 3, they better track the deer and pull it back to the truck for me.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
at 40dollars for 3, they better track the deer and pull it back to the truck for me.
Nah, I've got grown kids for that and if they're not available, there's always the wife.....
Old 08-11-2010, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

i guess mechanicals make up for hitting branches too its a magical head i guess...maybe wind never seen it though, i believe my vanes are as large as the fixed heads i used years ago..never had a problem with fixed heads flying good in the oklahoma wind..i love my mechanical broadhead just going cheap this year..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.