Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand? >

Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead thoughts?? Mechanical/Fixed?? Brand?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by annika3
and they fly truer than a fixed under ALL HUNTING CONDITIONS which includes:

1. Wind
2. Torque on the bow
3. Bad form
4. Bad release
5. Heavy clothes
6. Holding the bow drawn for a long time
7. Unusual stance on the treestand or blind or if you are spot and stalking

All of that is enough reason for me.
wow a heat seeking broadhead.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:18 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by LittleChief
Nah, I've got grown kids for that and if they're not available, there's always the wife.....
Thing must be different in MO compared to MD. I am too busy fanning my wife and making sure she is at the peak of comfort at all times.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Thing must be different in MO compared to MD. I am too busy fanning my wife and making sure she is at the peak of comfort at all times.

Suuuuure.
Actually, it's Tennessee. In reality, while my wife has never helped me drag a deer, she has jumped on her four wheeler and rode out to help me blood trail deer on more than one occasion. She's even assisted in field dressing a couple...
Old 08-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen rage broadheads leave no blood trail. Just like any head they will not always perform flawless. What if they open up during flight? A non-mechanical isn't going to change it's form, it will fly true like always. And how do they help bad form, torque, bad release, heavy clothes, and all that other crap you posted? Im confused!

Last edited by Wheatley; 08-11-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default For any newbie. . .

practice, practice, practice with field points. Before even getting into broadheads. And that means practice months before hunting season.

I'm convinced there is an increase in the sales of broadheads, due to the poor accuracy of the archers. It seems far easier to blame the broadhead and not the archer who can't place the arrow, where it's suppose to go.

And regardless of the broadhead, take some time to learn how it operates. Many mistakes are due to not paying attention to detail. Some archers just open up the package and put the broadheads on without any inspection. That's how broadheads get blamed. And some won't admit.

And if you can learn to sharpen your broadheads with a sharpening stone, you'll be way ahead on the target.

Last edited by Valentine; 08-11-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry but don't throw all mechanicals in the same basket. That would be like taking all fixed and throwing them in the same basket and you know they're not created equal.

I shoot Rage mechanicals because I have had 100% passthroughs using them, they give me huge holes for great blood trails and they fly truer than a fixed under ALL HUNTING CONDITIONS which includes:

1. Wind
2. Torque on the bow
3. Bad form
4. Bad release
5. Heavy clothes
6. Holding the bow drawn for a long time
7. Unusual stance on the treestand or blind or if you are spot and stalking

All of that is enough reason for me.
To paraphrase you: Probably 99% of hunters don't have the setup to get 100% passthroughs using a rage mechanical.

As far as the rest of your post, BS. With a properly tuned bow and arrow fixed heads fly as true as field points or a rage BH would under those conditions.

The biggest benefit to shooting a rage BH is that your bow and arrow don't need to be tuned in the least which is the biggest reason hunters use them and why 99% of hunters don't have the setup to get 100% passthroughs.

I always see you in these threads promoting a BH you designed but I never see you in threads helping people get their bow and arrows in tune so they can use your BH efficiently. If you did just a little more helping bowhunters understand the importance of a correctly setup bow and arrow, especially using your BH, rather than just promoting your BH you might have a little more credibility with me.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

i'm a loving the opinions, but until i have a problem with my spitfires. i ain't switching.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by brucelanthier
To paraphrase you: Probably 99% of hunters don't have the setup to get 100% passthroughs using a rage mechanical.

As far as the rest of your post, BS. With a properly tuned bow and arrow fixed heads fly as true as field points or a rage BH would under those conditions.

The biggest benefit to shooting a rage BH is that your bow and arrow don't need to be tuned in the least which is the biggest reason hunters use them and why 99% of hunters don't have the setup to get 100% passthroughs.

I always see you in these threads promoting a BH you designed but I never see you in threads helping people get their bow and arrows in tune so they can use your BH efficiently. If you did just a little more helping bowhunters understand the importance of a correctly setup bow and arrow, especially using your BH, rather than just promoting your BH you might have a little more credibility with me.

Guy asked a question on why shoot anything but a fixed and I answered it.

Do you really believe a fixed will fly as good as a mechanical in wind? or torque in the bow? or a bad release? REALLY? Don't you think the exposed blades of a fixed causes these things to be magnified?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guy asked a question on why shoot anything but a fixed and I answered it.

Do you really believe a fixed will fly as good as a mechanical in wind? or torque in the bow? or a bad release? REALLY? Don't you think the exposed blades of a fixed causes these things to be magnified?
Yes, REALLY. Reread the part of my post about a properly tuned bow and arrow.

That's why mechanicals like the rage sell so well. People put a fixed on and doesn't impact anywhere near their FP's so, instead of tuning their bow and arrow to shoot properly and efficiently, they hide the problems with a mechanical. The improperly tuned bow and arrow are why you read about the non-passthroughs when the bow and arrow should have plenty of energy to get one. All of that inefficiency due to improper or no tuning wastes the stored energy. That is also why the arrow is more sensitive to the outside forces you mention.

I have shot solid 2 blade, open 2 blade, 3 blade, 4 blade fixed heads in the wind, torqueing on purpose and other ways and they fly just fine. I have even shot 2 blade on a bareshaft at 30 yds and it flew just fine.

A well built arrow with a good FOC that has medium to heavy weight to it flying out of a bow tuned for it does just fine. A light arrow with 8% FOC out of an untuned bow is the perfect candidate for a mechanical like a rage to cover up all of the problems in a setup like that.