Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 07-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

What I want to know, is if modern rifles and muzzleloaders are both guns,than why the two seasons? which season came first? were the seasons split because of the advantages of one over the other? And the theory that its to increase the deer kill numbers don't work if that were the case just lengthen the one one season?
So I see it this way,if muzzleloader hunters and rifle hunters don't have to SHARE the same season THAN WHY should us bowhunters have to share a season with arrowgun hunters???
Old 07-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
What I want to know, is if modern rifles and muzzleloaders are both guns,than why the two seasons? which season came first? were the seasons split because of the advantages of one over the other? And the theory that its to increase the deer kill numbers don't work if that were the case just lengthen the one one season?
So I see it this way,if muzzleloader hunters and rifle hunters don't have to SHARE the same season THAN WHY should us bowhunters have to share a season with arrowgun hunters???

I agree, we shouldn't!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Share...hmmm

Well for one it's not "yours". You don't own the deer or the sole right to them. The bow hunter has by far the longest season and all you hear is crying that someone is taking everything from them. We have bow season for 4 1/2 straight month here so I guess I have to "share" with everyone. I know some that even complain when youth gun season comes in because they have to be inconvenienced again. Would it make you happier if they just split the season equal and give everyone one month? Or how about just stop all other forms of hunting other than bowhunting...only this will make some happy.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
Share...hmmm

Well for one it's not "yours". You don't own the deer or the sole right to them. The bow hunter has by far the longest season and all you hear is crying that someone is taking everything from them. We have bow season for 4 1/2 straight month here so I guess I have to "share" with everyone. I know some that even complain when youth gun season comes in because they have to be inconvenienced again. Would it make you happier if they just split the season equal and give everyone one month? Or how about just stop all other forms of hunting other than bowhunting...only this will make some happy.
And all we've heard from you is crying, trying to make excusses for yourself not using a bow...whaaaaah. You are not going to listen to reasoning and fact, just blab about whatever you can find on the holy internet to try and justify your using a xbow,
I've heard the same crying from guys who ride trikes,trying to say there still a motorcycle NO there a trike a motorcycle only has two wheels.
Just like a bow DOESN'T have a gun stock,gun trigger nor is held at full draw.
So keep crying,you may convince yourself.

Last edited by wvnimrod; 07-18-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

The most surprizing thing about this thread, for me at least, is finding an area I agree with the cat totally.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

And all we've heard from you is crying, trying to make excusses for yourself not using a bow...whaaaaah. You are not going to listen to reasoning and fact, just blab about whatever you can find on the holy internet to try and justify your using a xbow,
I've heard the same crying from guys who ride trikes,trying to say there still a motorcycle NO there a trike a motorcycle only has two wheels.
Just like a bow DOESN'T have a gun stock,gun trigger nor is held at full draw.
So keep crying,you may convince yourself.
Don't mean to make you look foolish but I don't use a xbow...never have. I have been bow hunting for 30 years now. I love it with a passion. In fact, I take off the entire month of Nov. every year to deer hunt. I bow hunt hard all year long and I also gun hunt some.

I just see it as unfair to keep xbow hunters out. This is my opinion. I want people outdoors hunting and keeping the sport alive. I get sick of seeing one group of hunters always attacking another for baiting, xbows, gun hunting, using dogs, deer drives, whatever. We don't all have to do the same thing.

I don't see what fun it is shooting a cougar out of a tree but some love it and it part of how they were raised. Or shooting a bear over a pile of donutes. It's not about me but about us....we need to support each other even when you don't see eye to eye.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Don't mean to make you look foolish but I don't use a xbow...never have. I have been bow hunting for 30 years now. I love it with a passion. In fact, I take off the entire month of Nov. every year to deer hunt. I bow hunt hard all year long and I also gun hunt some.

I just see it as unfair to keep xbow hunters out. This is my opinion. I want people outdoors hunting and keeping the sport alive. I get sick of seeing one group of hunters always attacking another for baiting, xbows, gun hunting, using dogs, deer drives, whatever. We don't all have to do the same thing.

I don't see what fun it is shooting a cougar out of a tree but some love it and it part of how they were raised. Or shooting a bear over a pile of donutes. It's not about me but about us....we need to support each other even when you don't see eye to eye.
Well I hate to make you look foolish,but that isn't very hard!
READ what myself,and Bigcountry have wrote NO one said they want to keep xbows out,they just don't belong in bowseason, as a modern rifle don't belong in muzzleloader season.
If they want to give xbows a season fine.But to argue that they are something there not, so they can be used is in it self FOOLISH!

You don't seem to understand that arguing about letting this weapon or that weapon in this or that season can ultimately have adverse affects,because where does it end? Maybe one season weapon of choice? Well I love bowhunting and would rather not see that happen,but I also im not saying that a weapon of choice season would be wrong! But remember the states make the laws not us and they rarely make laws that are in hunters best interest.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I hate to make you look foolish,but that isn't very hard!
READ what myself,and Bigcountry have wrote NO one said they want to keep xbows out,they just don't belong in bowseason, as a modern rifle don't belong in muzzleloader season.
If they want to give xbows a season fine.But to argue that they are something there not, so they can be used is in it self FOOLISH!

You don't seem to understand that arguing about letting this weapon or that weapon in this or that season can ultimately have adverse affects,because where does it end? Maybe one season weapon of choice? Well I love bowhunting and would rather not see that happen,but I also im not saying that a weapon of choice season would be wrong! But remember the states make the laws not us and they rarely make laws that are in hunters best interest.
You guys are doing nothing but grasping at straws. You throw out so much garbage with no proof of any of it. Xbow is already being SHARED in many states. The world hasn't fallen apart.

All you guys go overboard saying we may as well let everyone use guns all year and heat seeking missiles and hand grenades and poison darts....Come on and get a grip. No you don't mind if they have a season as long as its only a week or two.

Answer me this honestly. Would you agree to let xbow hunters have a two week xbow season and only two weeks just to themselves and closed to all other weapons but it would be the first two weeks of November ?

The bow is about a 40 yard weapon and so is the xbow. You can go to many crossbow forums and read how far these guys shoot deer. Most say 30 to 40 yards just like we do with a bow. Yes they can hit a target 60 yards but so can I with my bow...doesn't mean that's what I do when hunting.

You don't want xbows in "your" season. What if they closed bow season during all gun, xbow, and muzzle loader season ? You OK with that. Why should they have to SHARE their season with you ?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:22 PM
bigcountry

You guys are doing nothing but grasping at straws. You throw out so much garbage with no proof of any of it.
Now thats funny. I noticed you sure ran from those physics questions I posted. You didn't even try is what was sad. What a loser. You claim to be a man of integrity and honest. But you sat here and lied. Whats good about it, is everyone got to see you do it. You first started saying a bolt and arrow of equal wieght, drag coef, shot at the same velocity, the bolt would loose KE over 50 yards. You had no proof. I worked out the problem for you with elementary math. But yet you ran from it. Dishonest.

You then said it was a fact that a bolt becomes unstable past 50 yards and you had the proof. No proof, you lied again. Dishonest.

All you guys go overboard saying we may as well let everyone use guns all year and heat seeking missiles and hand grenades and poison darts....Come on and get a grip. No you don't mind if they have a season as long as its only a week or two.

Answer me this honestly. Would you agree to let xbow hunters have a two week xbow season and only two weeks just to themselves and closed to all other weapons but it would be the first two weeks of November ?
Another rediculus question. Why? I mean honestly, whats is freakin wrong with you?

One thing for sure, your in good company with stealthy, aka brad lantz. he's the guy who has been banned more here than anyone. He's the guy that made up 100's of names on here, and even went so low to try to win an arguement, he argued with himself. What does that say about you and him?? Don't ask me, ask LBR, the moderator. All the mods here said it. So your in good company with man of low integrity.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bet you need to use an arrowgun this year
You've yet to show me a link to an "arrowgun" .....

a fair question, and the answer lies in the fact that a crossbow is a bow, just as much so as a compound is

splitting crossbows out would also mean splitting compounds out because of they're so radically different than recurves/longbows

G&F study these things, they know the impacts when allowing weapons into seasons, they know how crossbows will impact the herds, and they know it will not be negative

Again ....... not one single shred showing crossbows are negatives in archery general season.

trying to make excusses for yourself not using a bow...whaaaaah
easy now, remember compounders shoot their choice of weapon because its so much easier too

You don't seem to understand that arguing about letting this weapon or that weapon in this or that season can ultimately have adverse affects,because where does it end?

The best question in this thread.

The answer? Your state's G&F study the impacts, and in large part they see how other states have went when crossbows are allowed in season. A rise in bowhunting numbers ( a good thing ) and an impact to the herd that isn't unacceptable which all equals giving sportsman the maximum opportunity with the least ammount of impact.

Now, if your goal is to have fewer hunters in the woods and less game bagged with archery tackle? Ban compounds. Or give 80% of the season to traditional, 10% to compounds and 10% to crossbows huh?

If you shoot a compound, you simply cannot reasonably place restrictions on crossbows that trad archers can't also place on you and that's because of the technology available in today's bows.

Will there be a point where technology is too great and the toll is too great on our deer herds? Maybe ......... and if it does, I guarantee the compounds will be the weapon that does it, leaps and bounds every year - its amazing when I look back at my 1980's PSE Precision Edge and think what radical differences compounds are today.

You can think crossbows will be bad, but its based on NOTHING. Its a fear, and I mean that as a baseless, factless fear, not unlike fearing the boogie man that doesn't exist .... crossbows being a negative doesn't exist, it just doesn't

I have no love for a crossbows. I've hunted with them, I've hunted decades with a compound and quite a few years with recurves/longbows. I've hunted upwards of 20 different states, I've lived in 20 more I imagine. I've been hunting all my life, and I've done it in a crossbow state.

I know it sounds like I'm defending them, but guys if I'm going to be against something, I need a REASON to be against it. There is no real, solid, rational or reasonable facts to keep crossbows out - they've been a part of archery history far longer than compounds, they have an arguable less effective range, they're arguable a less effective weapon even though they are easier to shoot than the easy compounds. But again, apples to apples lets place the compound next to a recurve and do the same litmus test and see what we get?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.