Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
So crossbow are legal now...... >

So crossbow are legal now......

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So crossbow are legal now......

Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may now be getting it some. I ain't holding my breath
Please don't - I'd hate to feel responsible.

Exactly what I am saying. The PSE you posted is like $2000 and has nothing over a regular crossbow other then a marketed "cool factor".

Thought this was a discussion on allowing archery equipment in bow season - or not as a few want to continue to do. Not sure what talk of gays and mexicans has to do with it.

Last edited by SteveBNy; 06-30-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Wow, same arguement homosexuals make for thier lifestyle.

So one could also make sure same argument that allowing it to be weapons of choice season would not mess with your tradition. You could take off the entire month of Nov and hunt with your trusty compound and so could Billy Bob with his thirty thirty. Right?

What I don't understand is why you think you are giving up your tradition if someone else hunts the same time period with a gun?
That is a pretty lame argument with the gay stuff...

That's like saying your so called tradition is like the KKK and its traditions and you don't want anyone to infringe on it.

Some states do allow gun hunting as long as bow season ( 3 or more months)....but thats because they have the resource to handle it. In Ky we don't. We take 90 percent of our harvest in about 3 weeks of gun season. All the rest is fluff and allows people more time to enjoy the outdoors.

Some states allow buck shot and deer hunting with dogs right along with bow season. Its their tradition also. How would you feel about that?

Now answer for real... why someone else hunting with a xbow does anything to lessen your tradition with a bow.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:26 PM
bigcountry

I actually prefer a longbow. Quieter, more stable, less hand shock.

I spend most of my time with primitive bow makers and shooters, purist of the pure people, and I have yet to see any of them ever say a recurve shooter is doing anything wrong. You sure you know trad bows?

Originally Posted by robbcayman
Many recurve hunters argue that compound hunters are taking the easy route. They have fiber optic sights, trigger release, stabilizers, string suppressors, 80% let off, cams etc.. Just like shooting fish in a barrel, right? I mean, mastering a compound is much easier than a recurve.

Plus, compounds have extended ranges over recurves. It's just not true hunting if you ask many recurve guys. Compounds are too easy to master.

Many recurve purists also say you are cheating and shouldn't be allowed in archery. At the very least, you should have a limited season. How is this any different than what you are arguing?

Then there's the you don't have to draw in front of the game argument. What about all those compound guys that hunt from double bull blinds? The deer don't see them draw back.

If you shoot a recurve only then good for you. I just don't see why you aren't all over compound hunters for ease of use. I'm sure you're a great guy, but you seem really closed-minded about xbows.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; shoot what you like, but don't begrudge others for doing the same. Happy hunting!

Old 06-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I spend most of my time with primitive bow makers and shooters, purist of the pure people, and I have yet to see any of them ever say a recurve shooter is doing anything wrong. You sure you know trad bows?
Purist ????....Where as all others are tainted because they don't fit your mold.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:34 PM
bigcountry

Why is it a lame argument. They claim that they ought to marry and it won't affect you at all. I am taking you are for gay marriage then? I myself am not and realize it affect society like a disease. Sooner or later it spills in your family. You have now deprogram your children every day when they come home from school when their teacher explains homos were born that way and this is proper behavior. Don't ever for once think you live in a complete vacuum were the rules of society will not spill into your life every once in a while. Dangerous thinking.

Let me give you a free education. Wi Bowhunters Ass. made the case that using a bare bow was much more challenging than gun hunting and therefore needed the longer season. Hense why WBA also made strict rules against a crossbow. Other states followed suit after 1940 with the same case of longer season needed for the expertise and challege it took.

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
That is a pretty lame argument with the gay stuff...

That's like saying your so called tradition is like the KKK and its traditions and you don't want anyone to infringe on it.

Some states do allow gun hunting as long as bow season ( 3 or more months)....but thats because they have the resource to handle it. In Ky we don't. We take 90 percent of our harvest in about 3 weeks of gun season. All the rest is fluff and allows people more time to enjoy the outdoors.

Some states allow buck shot and deer hunting with dogs right along with bow season. Its their tradition also. How would you feel about that?

Now answer for real... why someone else hunting with a xbow does anything to lessen your tradition with a bow.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:36 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Kybuckhunter
Purist ????....Where as all others are tainted because they don't fit your mold.
Purist is a phrase robby put out. I was responding to him. Your going to have to take that up with him.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Please don't - I'd hate to feel responsible.

Exactly what I am saying. The PSE you posted is like $2000 and has nothing over a regular crossbow other then a marketed "cool factor".

Thought this was a discussion on allowing archery equipment in bow season - or not as a few want to continue to do. Not sure what talk of gays and mexicans has to do with it.
I would use smaller words for you, but I am not sure I break it down any easier. Sorry steve, guess your out of luck.

At least the carbon matrix folks aren't too sorry enough to pull thier bow back right before the shot. Right?

Old 06-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why is it a lame argument. They claim that they ought to marry and it won't affect you at all. I am taking you are for gay marriage then? I myself am not and realize it affect society like a disease. Sooner or later it spills in your family. You have now deprogram your children every day when they come home from school when their teacher explains homos were born that way and this is proper behavior. Don't ever for once think you live in a complete vacuum were the rules of society will not spill into your life every once in a while. Dangerous thinking.
If you must know...Ive been married to the same women many years with great children but if you feel better about yourself by putting others down then go for it. Thats what most people do when they can't discuss a topic with logic. I find it odd you have bible verses in you signature line.

You compare xbow hunters to homosexuals that affects society like a disease...WOW

Still you can't answer.....Why someone else hunting with a xbow does anything to lessen your tradition with a bow.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Still you can't answer.....Why someone else hunting with a xbow does anything to lessen your tradition with a bow.
That's because he can't answer that. He knows that it will have absolutely no influence on him.

He says that wheels "perverted" archery hunting but has owned dozens of compounds over the years and he still has one that he is toying with keeping or selling. Since he is fond of absurd comparisons and compares homosexuals with archery hunting I'll use an analogy that he can understand. Bigcountry is like a perverted pedophile with illegal images of children. He has sold all of the dozens of images he has acquired over the years to other child perverts and wants to kick the perverted habit but still has his favorite picture in his desk drawer that he just can't force himself to part with.

You see, he has vastly more experience with being a pervert than the rest of us do so he is vastly more qualified to tell the rest of us how perverted we are because he has been one of the biggest perverts on HNI. Now he is on the path to righteousness and is preaching the archery gospel to all of us. But he still has a hankering for perverted things now and again.

Last edited by bigbulls; 06-30-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I said the opposite. Many traditional guys say compound hunters should be banned. I'm just wondering why you aren't after compound hunters.

The truth is, some guys who hunt with spears look down on "traditional" bow hunters. You see, there have always been others who have hunted with something more primitive that feel they are engaged in "true hunting". Many will sit on their high horses claiming anything other than what they are doing isn't hunting.

Just because a guy has an xbow doesn't mean he's shooting fish in a barrel. He has a slight edge over a compound hunter, just the same as a compound hunter has over a traditional bow hunter.

If you enjoy the challenge of a traditional bow, then by all means hunt that way. I just don't understand why you would begrudge someone else who chooses to hunt with any other legal weapon.

Last edited by robbcayman; 06-30-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.