HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How many carry an..? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/32226-how-many-carry.html)

Red Hawk 06-24-2003 12:55 PM

How many carry an..?

This isn' t really for people who hunt from stands but just for a conversation sake, i am curious if anyone here carries a hanggun just in case during bow hunting? I dont think i would, and if i did it would be maybe wild boar hunting.

CG 06-24-2003 01:05 PM

RE: How many carry an..?

It' s illegal to carry a gun while bowhunting in WY.....So I do not.....However I' ve never hunted in grizzly country and considering my irrational fear of bears, I would consider violating that law if I did hunt in griz country....;)

GTBuzz 06-24-2003 01:19 PM

It' s also illegal in Georgia; however, I know quite a few guys that carry a revolver loaded with snakeshot just in case.

Two Beards 06-24-2003 01:52 PM

No handgun...but I do carry some hardcore pepper
spray. Saw a loose rotweiler (sp?) in my neck of
the woods[:o], for such a remote area I was
suprised. To be quite honest...it scared the sh@*
out me, decided it was time to have something
besides the 3 arrows in my quiver;).

ArcticBowMan 06-24-2003 02:00 PM

I don' t use a hand gun for black or brown bears, so I doubt I would take one along while deer or boar hunting.

Rack-attack 06-24-2003 02:18 PM

I carry a my 45 every time I go out, you got to round here.

Lots of feral house cats running around – there big, there nasty – and they will not hesitate to shred up a new summit seat. Let alone nip at your feet. When I hunt close to the Hamptons there is a big problem with wild dogs, poodles and terriers mostly. The nastiest little things you would want to find in the woods. There small but a real pain in the arse when your bow-hunting, almost lost a few good friends to them.

We don’t take chances here in the Burbs – It’s a dangerous world out there!!!

huntmup 06-24-2003 02:21 PM

Here in SD the prairie dogs can get pretty big - they' ve been known to overthrow entire small towns - and - you know - they carry Monkey Pox so this year not only are we carrying side arms but we' re also carrying .223' s - so we can shoot them from afar w/o the risk of getting close to Monkey Pox.

BUT - I shoot a BOWTECH PATRIOT so I needn' t carry the .223 - I can hit a prairie dog in the 10 ring at 300 yards.;)

Sagittarius 06-24-2003 04:15 PM

Red Hawk,

I asked this same question last fall on this forum.
It caused such an uproar that my topic was locked.
Newbies came out of the woodwork on that thread. :)
Some who replied to that topic have never posted since.
I always carry a Sig P220 ST .45 when I bowhunt or go to the woods.
I am going to be straight and tell you it' s for human predators.
Not, lions, tigers, and bears, like everyone else pretends, lol.
No, I don' t trust strangers in the woods and will not let someone approach me if I don' t know him.
Who wants to squeal like a pig ? LOL.
If that' s paranoid, so be it.
Like a cop friend once told me...
" It' s better to be caught with it than without it" .
Just ask Ned Beatty. ;)

Sag.

click 06-24-2003 04:43 PM

yep, pack a bersa .380 while in the woods.

xibowhunter 06-24-2003 04:58 PM

the only time i think i would would be if i went bear hunting, but since i don' t have one i can' t ,i am thinking of getting one ,with all the mine run off around here we have alot of mutant rabbits and they have big teeth and they anger very easily! [&:][&:][&:][&:]:D