HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How many carry an..? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/32226-how-many-carry.html)

BuckAlley 06-29-2003 06:47 PM

RE: How many carry an..?

Its illegal in NY to carry any type of firearm with a bow. Even it is for feral cats & drugged out poodles! I don' t carry one, its more fun to use the bow anyways!

Mathewsbow1 06-30-2003 10:13 PM

Always carry, legal or not. I figure I have a better chance in court than in a grave.

Thanks and good hunting!!
jt

CargoF16 06-30-2003 10:35 PM

I' ve hunted wild boar in south central Turkey where I camped in the woods for days at a time, alone. I was in a country where I didnt know anyone and couldnt speak to them if I had to. The boar were upwards of 300lbs and by all accounts would charge even when shot with a 12guage slug. I was bow hunting but didnt have a hand gun. I walked with some level of fear everywhere I went in the woods and wondered if I' d have the balls to shoot one if I got the chance. I never did get the chance but I was totally aware of my suroundings, much more so than if I had a gun for backup. Coming back to camp at night gave me the heebegeebies.

Fear is a good thing, channel it into extreme, alert awareness. There are black bear where I hunt white-tail in WV and I enjoy the fact that my survival may depend on seeing them first. This is all apart of the true thrill of hunting.

rcd567 06-30-2003 11:35 PM

I' m sorry, but isn' t carrying a handgun while hunting called Handgun Hunting? If its legal in your state, fine, but the research I' ve done shows that most states don' t allow firearms of any kind in your possesion while bowhunting. I can just see the headlines, Paranoid bowhunters are carrying GUNS. This is just more ammunition (pun intended) for the Anti-hunting crowd. If someone threatens you while hunting, back away, disengage, let them have the deer. You don' t want to shoot anyone for a simple theft or threat. The years of law suits are something your NOT prepared for. Believe me. I' ve know officers who were involved in rightous shoots, commit suicide years later because of the after math. You Don' t want to go there.

And for those who are heating up your flame thrower...I am a republican and a retired Police Officer who has had guns shoved in my face and has returned the favor. I' ve carried a gun of some sort or fashion all most all of my adult life. If the woods you hunt are that unsafe, contact your local law enforcement officials. Help them by pointing out the drug labs, pot fields, or what not. Get the license plates of the dorks threatening, tresspassing or disrupting your hunt. Follow through, go to court, but most importantly, help them out. Whether dealing with good guys or bad guys, keep your head. Getting upset doesn' t solve anything. Getting involved does.

As I step from my soap box I zip up my flame retardant camo suit. Flame away.

ricoace 07-01-2003 11:32 AM

Yep, Sure do, A 9 mm barretta cheatah...I call her " Southern Comfort" :D