Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Arrows $396.00 per DZ, stop the madness!! >

Arrows $396.00 per DZ, stop the madness!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrows $396.00 per DZ, stop the madness!!

Old 04-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot ACC's but do not get into all the fancy stuff.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I remember when you could get a dozen XX75 shafts for $34.00 and that included the inserts and nocks.
Isn't that the definition of nostalgia? Remembering yesterdays prices with out regard to yesterdays wages. Besides, you choose how to spend you money right?????

I shoot Carbon Express Maxima Hunters, price; 149.00 per dz.
You don't have to shoot Maxima hunters. You could shoot the same aluminum shafts you talked about which will run you $50 per dozen today. A savings of $100 right off the top.

I shoot 100gr. Slick-Tricks, cost about $25 per three.
First off there is no reason to buy a dozen broadheads to put on every single arrow. But in fairness to keep the comparison the same..... you could shoot Muzzy's for $34 a six pack. A savings of $32 per dozen.

I use NAP Shrink fletch, cost; $14.00 per six.
You could use regular white wraps at $8 per dozen and regular vanes that you fletch yourself. A savings of about $18 per dozen.

If you add in a lighted nock, you are adding another $10.00 per arrow
If you are putting a lighted nock on every single arrow then you need help. You don't have to use lighted nocks any way. People got along with them for decades. I use a little piece of reflective automotive tape wraped around the shaft between the nock and feathers. Shine a flash light around and find your arrow.

So, the new grand total comes to $10.66 per arrow or $128 per dozen.

Last edited by bigbulls; 04-19-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

bigbulls,

I think you know the point he was trying to make. Anything to do with archery Is becoming reduculous with the prices. How can one deny this?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

It doesn't have to be as I just illustrated.

Besides, it isn't really a fair comparison if you are comparing Easton Game getters to Maxima hunters now is it?

Anything to do with archery Is becoming reduculous with the prices. How can one deny this?
Use any on line inflation calculator.
A $750, 2010 Mathews, Bowtech, or Hoyt would have cost you $525 back in 1995.
Easton Game getters would have cost you $35 in 1995.
$150 maxima hunters would have cost you $105 in 1995.

Like I said. Remembering yesterdays prices with out regard to yesterdays wages.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

bigbulls, there is some validity to your point about yesterdays wages vs. yesterdays prices but the the whole point of the original thread was to point out how things quickly can get out of control with each new gadget that comes along. At one time, I did fletch my own arrows and still have my jojan multifletcher but I have a very bad tremor which has gotten worse over the years so it's just easier and less messy for me to use the shrink-fletch. I also at one time used Muzzy broadheads but the Slick-Tricks flew better out of my set-up so I switched. And really, comparitivly, $25.00 for three broadheads is less than most you will find now a days. I don't use lighted nocks but there are a lot of guys who do and those things can really jack up the price per arrow. I really do think that carbon arrows can be a better value in the long run because they last longer but you have to stay away from the more expensive models. When it's time for me to replace arrows, I am going to go with the Cabelas arrows someone suggested in their earlier post. I really do believe in buying the best you can afford right up front because it's more expensive overall to try to buy cheaper products and then "work" your way up to the more expensive things. That takes research on your part to find out what is the best, not necessarily the most expensive. I have been down that road myself and that was a life-lesson learned for me. But overall, archery prices are really beginning to get out of control and we need to decide what we really need and leave the rest to the rich guys. Thank you for your imput.

Blessings.....Pastorjim
Old 04-20-2010, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

bigbulls, by the way, where did you get that inflation calculator? That would be an interesting tool to apply to all sorts of things. For example, back in the mid-eighties, I purchased a Hoyt Prohunter, considered by many to be the best bow you could buy at that time. I paid $275.00 for it. I wonder what the price would be now and how it would compare, price-wise, with whatever is considered the best bow today. Let me know if you can. Thank you.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

Never mind, I just found one on google and that Prohunter that cost $275 in 1985 would now sell for $556 and change. I think that proves my point. There are not very many of what you would consider, top of the line bows, going for $556.00 today. And the $34.00 shafts would now sell for around $68.00,about where there at today. Therefore, it looks as if archery prices, at least in some areas, have outpaced inflation. Not to mention all the "extra" gadgets we buy that didn't even exist a few years ago.

Last edited by PastorJim08; 04-20-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just found one on google and that Prohunter that cost $275 in 1985 would now sell for $556 and change. I think that proves my point.
Yeah, but you gotta also look at the technology in bows of the 80's compared to a 2010 compound.

Cast magnesium risers vs. CNC'd aluminum forgings, fast flight strings vs. 452X and the like, steel cables vs. synthetic cables with tunable yolks, fiber glass or wooden limbs vs. 5 or 6 layer laminated limbs, synchetic or cast wheels vs. CNC'd cams, stabilizers that were nothing more than a steel bar vs. all kinds of stuff today, stamped steel sights with painted brass sight pins vs. , CNC'd sight housings with fiber optic pins, etc...

I just wanted to show a little prespective in this thread before every one jumped on the high price band wagon.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just wanted to show a little prespective in this thread before every one jumped on the high price band wagon.
So everything made today In the archery world Is rightfully priced then In your eyes?
Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Schultzy
So everything made today In the archery world Is rightfully priced then In your eyes?
Many things aren't... But IMO alot of bows are... With my recent interview for an engineering position for bear I got to see the actual material cost for a bear attack. It was everything they had in it... I also know dealer cost forthat bow as well courtesy of a gander mtn employee lol. Anyways, you all woul be astonished to see that tthey are not making as much money off each thing as you think... There is a ton more Econ involved but I don wanna get that far into it. Just understand that the 749$ bear attack probably makes bear less than you think per bow after assembly/advertising/marketing etc... They depend on volume. Just think of the salary of one engineer... They have 4... Lots of people gotta get paid to make this world turn so prices have only one way to go unfortunately...
Old 04-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The high cost of arrows makes the cost of my 340-Weatherby mag ammo look cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.