Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Arrows $396.00 per DZ, stop the madness!! >

Arrows $396.00 per DZ, stop the madness!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrows $396.00 per DZ, stop the madness!!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Schultzy
So everything made today In the archery world Is rightfully priced then In your eyes?
As usual, someone feels the need to read more into a post than what was typed. I didn't say that any where in any of my posts now did I?

A gleaming example of an over priced archery item... anyone that pays $80 for titanium rage broadehads needs to have their heads examined.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought Easton xx75s (my size) on a sale clearance for $20 dz. fletched with inserts. I bought 4 Dz.. I bought my Broadheads on sale & they were half price ($34) so I have $4.50 per arrow. I've taken several animals (15 since I bought them)& other than 2 bent by pigs & 1 in practice & a Dz. I gave my kids I still have 2 dz. in their boxes & 9 I've been using.
I also have 2 other Dz. Eastons that are different size but shoot very well out of my Bows-well one had 11 fletched with no inserts (I bought inserts seperate) & the other dz. fletched with inserts. 23 Arrows for $35-still in the boxes. I guess i'm good for awhile...Oh, I also bought 2 Dz. Carbons "on sale" for $35 dz.(retail $65) & shot 4 of them 1 fall killing 1 Animal with them-didn't like them & gave to my son-he loves them & shot 2 animals with them so far.
I just am always "looking" at tackle on sale & when I see a "steal" get it if it fits someone in the family. There are 6 of us that Bowhunt.
I just can't justify even $10 per arrow for myself..Oh, I've been doing this so long I must have 10 dz. that need refletching-in fact, I did that with a Dz. Eastons I gave my Son-in-law last year when he started shooting. I have at least 300 nocks & probably 6-700 4" vanes & another 200 5" vanes & at least 3-400 4" feathers.
They work JUST FINE.....
Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Well some folks

depend on spending money instead of perfecting their talent.

The only talent some folks have, is to just spend a lot of money.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

There can be no doubt that todays prices for ALL of our equipment borders in crazy!

Nothing to have $1,200+ in a decent bow rig these days!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I forget what I'm paying but I think I get a dozen carbon tech arrows made, cut to my length, ready to go for less than $100.

you're saying prices have changed in the last year or two?
Old 04-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

There can be no doubt that todays prices for ALL of our equipment borders in crazy!

Nothing to have $1,200+ in a decent bow rig these days!
And that same $1200 rig would have cost you
$950 in 2000...
$840 in 1995...
$720 in 1990...
$450 in 1980...

And you wouldn't have eny of the technology that is available today that makes todays bows so efficient, quiet, vibration free, and accurate.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Spike

Archery today is only expensive if you make it expensive. I still shoot the Reflex compound that I've had for 7 or 8 years. Total price of bow, stabilizer, rest and sight is about $270. I shoot xx78 with 4 blade muzzys, about $100. Add in misc. things like release, limbsavers, string silencers, etc. and I have about $420-430 into the package. And it is a very solid bow with solid components that has never let me down. Price per shot over the years to now has to be fractions of a penny.

With all of todays gadgets, people's idea of a "decent bow setup" has gotten extremely skewed. The majority of people won't even look at a basic $30 sight or $30 rest like I have. It's a $150+sight or nothing. Then when these guys have their bow all set up and have shot it for a couple of years, they sell it for very little return.
When I watch people with their $1500 bows and $300 arrows, I just laugh to myself. I don't even look at the broadhead section of the cabelas catalog anymore. $40 for 3 broadheads, what are these companies thinking.

Oh well, I'm getting more and more into my traditional stuff and in a couple years probably won't hunt with a compound at all. But I'll always keep my cheap, huge by todays standards and accurate compound rig.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I watch for my carbon arrows to go on sale then I buy several of them to save money,I don't shoot an arrow in the same target space/circle so I don't damage/destroy another arrow and I have 2 different kind of broadheads for hunting....3 mechanical and 3 fixed that I have aquired over the past 5 years.I'm not cheap...just financially challenged!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Schultzy
So everything made today In the archery world Is rightfully priced then In your eyes?
NOT to mention releases are out of this world
Sorry Schultzy I had too!!!

Expensive & Accurate arrows are almost an oxy-moron.

Meaning - Aren't we trying to hit a 4" target at a given yardage -
so the numbers on paper look better than most peoples target's - why is this? I would gather its called ability. Put a deer in front of anyone and try to robin hood the the tick on a deers back they will cave and the 1/2" of accuracy goes down the tube?

Carbon's Faster... My buddy has killed more deer than most, with his 1982 Hoyt @ a lightning fast 175/second (I can run faster than his flipin arrow)

Marketing people marketing, but you can jump on the carbon express wagon if you want, I'll use my AFFORDABLE XX75 and place them in my "hunting quiver" after I qualified the BH for repeatability, never to be used except to kill the animal I choose too
Old 04-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I totally agree Ed... I'd conclude that most will shoot nowhere near to the potential of their setups for various form and inconsistancies.
Originally Posted by Edcyclopedia
NOT to mention releases are out of this world
Sorry Schultzy I had too!!!

Expensive & Accurate arrows are almost an oxy-moron.

Meaning - Aren't we trying to hit a 4" target at a given yardage -
so the numbers on paper look better than most peoples target's - why is this? I would gather its called ability. Put a deer in front of anyone and try to robin hood the the tick on a deers back they will cave and the 1/2" of accuracy goes down the tube?

Carbon's Faster... My buddy has killed more deer than most, with his 1982 Hoyt @ a lightning fast 175/second (I can run faster than his flipin arrow)

Marketing people marketing, but you can jump on the carbon express wagon if you want, I'll use my AFFORDABLE XX75 and place them in my "hunting quiver" after I qualified the BH for repeatability, never to be used except to kill the animal I choose too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.