Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Old bow, good groups, and prima donnas >

Old bow, good groups, and prima donnas

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old bow, good groups, and prima donnas

Old 06-23-2003, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Old bow, good groups, and prima donnas

I think to shoot a nice setup doesn' t generally make people snobbish. I think shooting a nice setup poorly is what makes their attitude seem so. But there are those that dump roses.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:50 AM

It' s all about getting to know your equipment and practicing. I know people that can make some amazing shots with a 55# recurve bow and no sights. I personally just bought a new bow, but you are 100% correct - equipment does not make the archer.

I think anybody that would look down on you because of your " old" setup is an amateur. You are describing the same kind of people that go out and spend $1500 on a new .300 Ultraearsplittenloudenboomer and cannot even hit a barn from the inside. Yet, they talk about how said rifle will allow them to kill an elk at 500 yards. Meanwhile I' ll continue to bust clay pigeons out to 400 yards with my cheap Savage rifle in .270 Winchester.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:41 PM

Never, never, dis' the " Old Guns" (bows). They are the patriarchs of today' s gear and today' s hunting techniques. If the older bows were able to do the job in their time, and do it well, why can' t they still do the job today if still in good shape? Here is a news flash: They can, and they do!

Unless the new gear is detrimental to clean hits/kills and recovered animals, it is the individual' s prerogative to hang anything on his or her bow if he or she believes the " stuff' enables better accuracy. However, here is a statement that I am sure will put the fingers to the keyboards of many of the bowhunters that have taken up the sport in the last 10 years. ……Regardless of all the technological advances in bowhunting gear, a bowhunter using all the expensive and advanced tech gear that is available today, still does not have any extensive advantages over a bowhunter using older -even newer, less powerful bows and simple gear.

Bowhunting remains a close contact sport; and unless bows are developed that can accurately cast an arrow at great speeds, and the arrow can maintain a flat trajectory to a greater than common yardage, bowhunting will always be a close contact sport.

If I were to hunt with a person using all the most advanced gear, and I was to use my 1979 60#, 200-210 fps PSE Pacer, with the wide wheels sitting in brackets on the limbs, I would not be intimidated nor would I believe I was outgunned. I would simply add 2 more sight pins for the additional yardage, where as I use only 1 pin on my newer Martins.

The fact that an arrow may fly faster and might get to the target faster, does not compute to an indisputable and outstanding advantage.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:49 PM

C903 - I agree 100% - its all the same

99% of bowhunting is getting that deer under you.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

This year I bought a new bow. New for me I guess. It was last years 2002 Mathews Legacy for about half price. The guy who sold it buys a new bow every year! He bought an LX. (Wish my wife was as understanding as his) Anyway I retired my Golden Eagle hunter bow circa 1980. I couldn' t believe how quiet the Mathews was compared to my old bow. It' s not really faster cause I went from 70 pound to about 55. But it is smoother and quieter and just as fast. This weekend I' m going to put it through a chrono to see for sure.

But my point is, check around, you might find a super deal out there. I also have a buddy who bought his off ebay.com If you check the seller' s feedback and communicate with him it should be OK. My buddy got an inspection period of 3 days in which if he didn' t find the bow satisfactory, he could return it for his money back.[] I like new stuff too, but also like to save money to buy on more jun- er, stuff.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good post and good point. Seems like there are so many new gadgets out there to make you a better bow hunter, but are they all that necessary and can a person be sucessful without all of it? Of course they can!
Old 06-25-2003, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

The man makes the bow, the bow don' t make the man. I' ve only been shooting bows for about a year now but they' re no different than the rifles I' ve been shooting my whole life. The shooter, not the weapon, hits the target. Sometimes the newer equipment is lighter, has a higher let-off, and is a little quieter but all that means is comfort to the user. That doesn' t have a whole lot to do with the kill on an animal. Once you pass the minimums for a kill like draw weight, arrow grains, etc its all skill after that. Anyone who thinks hes a better shot or hunter simply cause hes got the lastest fad is full or himself. Only range and field time makes you good.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:00 PM

rather_be_huntin

Well said, and square on the head of the nail.

However, I would add one word to your statment:

" The man makes the bow, the bow don' t make the man."

to

" The man and woman makes........."

Old 06-28-2003, 08:57 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]