Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Old bow, good groups, and prima donnas >

Old bow, good groups, and prima donnas

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old bow, good groups, and prima donnas

Old 06-22-2003, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Old bow, good groups, and prima donnas

I had planned on purchasing a new bow (most likely a Matthews) this summer. Well....I just couldn' t bring myself to dole out the $800 by the time all was said and done, and decided to continue shooting my old, outdated, technology-surpassed PSE Polaris Express. I hadn' t shot my bow since last fall, and gained a good bit of satisfaction last week as I was shooting at a local range. The hot shot beside me, whom no doubt snubbed me due to my equipment faux pas was shooting a nice looking Hoyt CyberTec. It was fun to shoot 6 arrows from 30 yards and walk down with him (without a word spoken) to pull our arrows from the carpet bales. The funny part was...his groups were decent...actually they were pretty good. Well...really I guess the funny part (to me) was mine were all touching as well...right in the sweet spot.

All this just to say.....brand names and high cost do not a bowhunter make! Remember when guys were taking every big game animal in north america with recurve bows shooting far less than 300 fps??? It' s far more important to know your gear, know what it can do, and practice, practice, practice! Having Matthews, Bowtech, or Hoyt stamped on your bow will not get it done without it. Although...I think next year, I' ll buy a new bow!
Old 06-22-2003, 09:35 PM

Default RE: Old bow, good groups, and prima donnas

Great article. I just posted a thread about Hoyt bows. I shoot an old PSE Nova Express and would like to upgrade, but it' s finally set up the way I like it. If you don' t mind me asking, why are you leaning towards Mathews? I know a lot of guys swear by them. How does the new Hoyt and Parker, Bowtech, etc. stack up in your opinion?
Old 06-23-2003, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep. I' ve got an old Hoyt Superslam hanging around the house. I' ve had quite a few current model bows that shoot faster, but not a single one has shot better for me than the old warhorse.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

Well, I' ll put my two cents in! I am the proud owner of a brand new Bowtech VFT purchased in March of this year. I purchased it early to give me plenty of time to get used to it before September bow season(i.e. practice, practice, practice). As far as price, price is not an issue for me in a sport I enjoy (Bowhunting) so much!!!

I like new stuff, but I' m not obsessed with it. Before this one, my last purchase was a PSE in 1992. So I don' t buy one often, but I wanted it to be what I felt was best for me because I plan on keeping it awhile. My idea is for all archers to do what they want, whether it' s shooting the 1960' s model recurve, buying the latest a greatest every year, or some where inbetween like me.

Getting a new bow doesn' t necessarily make you shoot better if you don' t become familiar with your equipment. But if you do take the time, it' s alot of fun taking that new bow out to ' break her in' . I personally can' t wait to get out there in September!!
Old 06-23-2003, 07:29 AM

I have to agree sith all the above. I have been using a Bow and Huntine for the past uuuuummmmm almost 40 years. The Bow does not make the Archer, practice does and nowing your equipment and having it fit and feel good. I just purchased a new Martin Magnum Jaguare after shooting my old High Country for the past 12 years. I really like the new Bow and will be a lot better once I get real comfortable with it. Its not the Bow its the person behind it that makes the Bow....
Old 06-23-2003, 07:44 AM

I am in total agreement. I still have my Bear Whitetail compound I bought in 1980.
Its a great finger shooting bow. Not as consistant as my 2yr old PSE but nonethe less a great bow. [:-]
Old 06-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

But look at what all those guys do to boost the economy with buying all those high priced bows every other year. I' ll stick with my practical priced bows and keep them 7-8 years, could probably keep them longer, but even I get the itch to have something new now and then.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:30 PM

HEY!!!!

Is Someone calling me a PRIMA-DONNA[][] with my pretty new bow.

I have ugly camo cloths, Does that help??????
Old 06-23-2003, 12:31 PM

[>:]I just retired my High Country Trophy Hunter I bought new in 1988.
I shot it nearly daily. During that time I went through (wore out) 4 flipper rests, 8 strings, 2 sets of cables and a Quicky Qwiver. Every scratch, nick, blemish is etched in my mind and reminiscent of each event that caused them. I know this Bow inside and out and it literally has become a extention of my physical makeup.
The bow still shoots fine, but the limbs are aged, weaker, and I didn' t want to end up having them fail on me although NO sign of damage was present.

My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I said a New Bow. She told me to pick one out. My mind raced to back to when I bought the High Country, and a Bow I had seen and shot after buying the H.C. I fell in love with it because of it' s draw cycle. I just couldn' t justify the cost because of my recent purchase.
So when I got the nod from whatshername, I really didn' t know if the company was still around. I did a search and found out the company had been sold, BUT it was restructured and alive. After visiting their website and doing some research with current shooters, I decided to go ahead with my purchase. Glad I did, love the Bow and look forward to the many years (God Willing) and experiences we will share together...

Old 06-23-2003, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Rack-Attack....don' t get me wrong. I have no problem with guys having nice gear. I' m all about having nice (and sometimes expensive) stuff. It' s the the attitude that' s presented by some when sizing up your equipment...er...bow that bothers me. I' ve only noticed it on occasion...I think most of us are in this together no matter what we' re flinging arrows out of. It' s a great sport and you' re welcome to wear your ratty camo anytime you please!

Quick Reply: Old bow, good groups, and prima donnas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.