Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 do you shoot with a short release aid or a longer one >

do you shoot with a short release aid or a longer one

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do you shoot with a short release aid or a longer one

Old 06-20-2003, 10:45 AM

Default do you shoot with a short release aid or a longer one

i was wandering what length and type of release aid different people shoot with. i seem to have trouble with punching the trigger, but i shoot a fairly long release -- a cobra something from walmart. anyway i was thinking of getting one of those that fits the palm of your hand, but didn' t know if that would help me or if i would like it?

what do you like?
Old 06-20-2003, 10:51 AM

Default RE: do you shoot with a short release aid or a longer one

Recently I purchased a Scott little Goose and it is fantastic, It certainly has helped improve my accuracy. They are a little on the pricey side anywhere from $50 to $70 dollars but they are the best and will help. If you have larger hands try the Mongoose by Scott basically the same as the Little Goose but just bigger. You might want to try sortening up your release if you can so that when at full draw the trigger falls at the first crease in your finger when your finger is bent at the second knuckle.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:04 AM

Click,

You punch the trigger because you are scared to miss and do not trust your ability to hold on the target. When the pin does arrive on the " spot" you fire away before it has a chance to move. A different release IMO will not help.

Get away from the crowds and onlookers and learn to use back tension to slowly fire the trigger. Allow your pin to float and just get used to the surprise release. Do not worry if you miss or not at first - because you will.

When you learn to focus most, if not all of your thought on " aiming" it becomes much easier to keep the pin floating on the x and the slow squeze of the trigger comes on its own. There will be no reason to punch the trigger because the pin is going nowhere - it will stay on the x

It may take some time but your improvement in group size and consistency will be well worth it.

Give it a try
Old 06-21-2003, 07:19 PM

thanks Rack i will definetly start trying use my back and not impulse
Old 06-21-2003, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

You' re probably also punching it because you have the end of your finger on the trigger. The release should be short enough that the first joint of your trigger finger hooks over the trigger. You take up the slack and do the rest with back tension, elbow pull or whatever you want to call it. Tip of the finger on the trigger is a bad NO NO.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:08 PM

I only bought a release aid because every time I would should, I would get blisters on my fingers. I bought it a little short because I needed to lengthen my draw length a bit. I figured that if I bought a short enough release aid, it would help in lengthening my draw length. It may have helped a bit but certainly not much. At least now I can shoot three dozen arrows without having my fingers hurt.
Mike,-
Old 06-23-2003, 04:49 AM

if you want a decent palm release try a fletcher fourth finger! it can help you learn (kinda) the basic mechanics of back tension , though true back tension is a total surprise, with the fourth finger release you can anticipate when the release will go off because it does have a trigger even though you have to try to focus on aiming not on when the release will go off.