Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Short release for guy w/ short DL >

Short release for guy w/ short DL

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Short release for guy w/ short DL

Old 12-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Short release for guy w/ short DL

I just took a few shots in the basement and realized I was using the tip of my finger to trigger my TruFire release (no adjustment). I have areally short DL (26") so I'm looking for a shorter (or adjustible) release to improve my form and maybe gain an inch of DL.

Suggestions ???

I'm 5'10" and 180lbs, I shoot alum off the string.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Short release for guy w/ short DL

Take a look at the wrist releases by Tru-Ball.

If you shot a loop I would reccomend the Short N Sweet II.

www.truball.com

You may also be able to adjust the release you have.If your release has a piece of threaded rod in it,you can cut it off with a hax saw and then rebend the end.Not hard at all,I have done it before.

You are exactly right to be trying to get the release back off your fingertip.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would get a good t-handle release with a short profile like the Ultra Xtreme or ST-3. They are pricy but are well worth it and you get get the modular wrist strap system to hunt with. I hunted with an ST-3 this year on the modular wrist strap you can't lose it and the open hook style is awesome for hunting, no clicking or any of that just hook up and shoot. I am actually shooting the same release indoors this year minus the wrist strap.

Most quality t-handle handheld releases will help you gain a lot of draw length and also be able to bring your hand into your face for a more solid anchor point than most can achieve with a wrist strap/trigger finger styel release aid.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

There area couple that come to mind. Scott has several that have a trigger forward design. I think its called the Wildcat. Also, Tru ball has a newer version of the Copperhead that has the trigger forward. I've been debating on this myself.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

the short n sweet is a GREAT release, you don't lose any draw length at all.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Spott Hogg Saturday Night Special for shooting from a loop.

To ask a question, at 5'10" why is your draw length so short? Is there a particular reason? Are you saying 26" True Draw or AMO.

The reason I ask is that most people of your stature would be around 28" plus or minus a hair.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with BG, 26" seems short for a guy that's 5'10". I'm 5'8" and I'm between 27" and 28" depending on the bow (I've got longer arms for a vertically challenged guy). Anyway, I use the Fletcher Jim Dandy release. It's a trigger forward design that is very nice and adjustable. If you don't like them or can't find them, Scott has the Sabertooth, Silverhorn, or as mentioned above the Wildcat which are all good releases.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't shoot a loop, wouldn't that give up more draw length?
I have no idea why my DL is short, I look pretty normal (I think). I hadit measured at a big proshop when I bought my bow, and at asmaller one later when buying arrows, both said I was 26".
I do keep a big bend in my bow arm, maybe too much?
When the room-mate gets home maybe I'll get him to snap a few pics and post them for a critique on my form.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

tschaef-

Don't feel bad, you're draw may be right on. I'm 5'11" and my draw is just a tad under 27".

Broad shoulders with shorter arms.

A lot can depend on your particular anchor point and the release being used.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot a Winn-Flight release with a string loop. My draw length is 25-1/2".

The Winn-Flight does take away some of the dexterity of your shooting hand, but not enough tomake me want to switch to anything else.

Go to Bass Pro's or Cabela's or anywhere that has a large variety to check them our before you buy one.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex

Quick Reply: Short release for guy w/ short DL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.