Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
This "its brown its down" stuff is bull**** >

This "its brown its down" stuff is bull****

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This "its brown its down" stuff is bull****

Old 12-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

people from the east can't get it through there heads....everybody can't hunt farm raised, corn fed deer!! i can't speak for the loggers....but i firmly believe in "if it is brown, its down.". I cannot eat picutres, foot prints, or sheds and not being a trophy hunter i shoot what is legal... most people don't have the luxury of "passing bucks"...hell most have trouble even seeing a freakin buck all season...until you hunt public land, not during the rut, not during winter, no feeders, high fences, corn fields, barley, etc. saying that you hate people who blieve in "if its brown its down" is just an ignorant statement.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

The same ol' whining from midwesterners about someone not willing to get out of bed at 4:30 a.m. and pass 120 bucks all day so that they can grow another year, I get sick of hearing it.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

I think what the little man is saying is that he was concerned with the disregard that some hunters have for the sport. (The parts that give all of us hunters a bad name, namely the unethical IMO, firing into a group of deer)

However, this thread is just that, an expression of a person who is frustrated with the practices of other hunters, while he may be "knocking" some of the traditional aspects of drive hunting, maybe what he is really asking for; without outright asking, is that someone with more experience in that type of hunting: drive hunting, explain some of the strategies used, as no group of hunters are the exact same.

I too have been caught claiming a deer, it is not unusual for a bowhunter in my opinion to get eyes on a deer and continue to claim him throughout the season; though incorrect in the assumption that it belongs to you. My bulletin board has 4 or 5 pics of bucks that I "claim" are mine and can't wait to get a chance to harvest, however with that comes the knowledge that someone else may get that deer; it is a fact of hunting.

So, the best we can do for this young hunter is listen and give advice on how to handle it. Secondly, we can hope that the demeaning posts of a few do not drive him away from the social aspects of hunting; because hunting is not all about personal experiences, but is something that drives an emotional part of the brain that strives for social interaction, hence why we get the satisfaction we get when others compliment on our prizes; regardless if they are does, fork bucks, button bucks, or 170" class monsters.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

/\
||

Almost sounds Dr. Philish in a sense... My apologies, sometimes my brain gets really smart and even I don't understand it. :-)
Old 12-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IOWABUCKHUNTR
/\
||

Almost sounds Dr. Philish in a sense... My apologies, sometimes my brain gets really smart and even I don't understand it. :-)

Sure - my advice to the young hunter...if you don't like your neighbors shooting your deer..build a higher fence or go find yourself some public land...hike back a few miles and you won't have to worry about anybody shooting your deer!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by IOWABUCKHUNTR
I think what the little man is saying is that he was concerned with the disregard that some hunters have for the sport. (The parts that give all of us hunters a bad name, namely the unethical IMO, firing into a group of deer)

However, this thread is just that, an expression of a person who is frustrated with the practices of other hunters, while he may be "knocking" some of the traditional aspects of drive hunting, maybe what he is really asking for; without outright asking, is that someone with more experience in that type of hunting: drive hunting, explain some of the strategies used, as no group of hunters are the exact same.

I too have been caught claiming a deer, it is not unusual for a bowhunter in my opinion to get eyes on a deer and continue to claim him throughout the season; though incorrect in the assumption that it belongs to you. My bulletin board has 4 or 5 pics of bucks that I "claim" are mine and can't wait to get a chance to harvest, however with that comes the knowledge that someone else may get that deer; it is a fact of hunting.

So, the best we can do for this young hunter is listen and give advice on how to handle it. Secondly, we can hope that the demeaning posts of a few do not drive him away from the social aspects of hunting; because hunting is not all about personal experiences, but is something that drives an emotional part of the brain that strives for social interaction, hence why we get the satisfaction we get when others compliment on our prizes; regardless if they are does, fork bucks, button bucks, or 170" class monsters.
+1 Probably the best reply in the thread. Pretty much what I was thinking Pope was expressing and looking for myself. Give him a break and help teach him instead of scolding him for his concerns. He is only 14! (not meant in a demeaning way pope)
Old 12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gutshot
the same ol' whining from midwesterners about someone not willing to get out of bed at 4:30 a.m. And pass 120 bucks all day so that they can grow another year, i get sick of hearing it.
.......yup!
Old 12-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Spike

Hey Pope - also, please don't be so quick to assume you know what other hunters are doing. To claim that they were shooting into a circle of deer hoping to hit one of them is probably not entirely accurate.

When driving deer, often groups of deer will come through at the same time and sometimes don't know where to go because of all the humans around. Each of the hunters most likely had picked out a single deer and were shooting at it and probably even aiming at its kill zone. Just because there is a group of deer does not mean the hunters were indiscriminately firing at the whole group.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DryForkSlayer
+1 Probably the best reply in the thread. Pretty much what I was thinking Pope was expressing and looking for myself. Give him a break and help teach him instead of scolding him for his concerns. He is only 14! (not meant in a demeaning way pope)

if he is only 14 than this is a great learning experience for him. Too many shows and too many people who hunt back east "claim bucks" and that is just not what hunting is suppose to be about.

Pope, I am sorry that your neighbors made your hunting very difficult, but that is life and what you should get out of it is a learning experience. Find ways to keep the deer on "your side of the fence," or at the very least learn that after opening of shotgun most deers will not be in your neighbors yard and will probably have a set "escape route" that you can set up on to hunt those deer.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by JNTURK
if he is only 14 than this is a great learning experience for him. Too many shows and too many people who hunt back east "claim bucks" and that is just not what hunting is suppose to be about.

Pope, I am sorry that your neighbors made your hunting very difficult, but that is life and what you should get out of it is a learning experience. Find ways to keep the deer on "your side of the fence," or at the very least learn that after opening of shotgun most deers will not be in your neighbors yard and will probably have a set "escape route" that you can set up on to hunt those deer.
Yes it is a learning experience for him. Both I and IOWABUCKHUNTR never stated it was right to claim the deer, infact, IOWABUCKHUNTR stated it was incorrect and I was agreeing with him. Don't go putting claiming bucks on "many of those who hunt in the east"! Yes many tv shows do it and many people out east do it as well but, I'm willing to bet that there are plenty "back west" who do as well so don't try turning this into that kind of crap! I agree with the rest you posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.