HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - This "its brown its down" stuff is bull****
Old 12-08-2009, 12:52 PM
DryForkSlayer
Spike

Originally Posted by IOWABUCKHUNTR
I think what the little man is saying is that he was concerned with the disregard that some hunters have for the sport. (The parts that give all of us hunters a bad name, namely the unethical IMO, firing into a group of deer)

However, this thread is just that, an expression of a person who is frustrated with the practices of other hunters, while he may be "knocking" some of the traditional aspects of drive hunting, maybe what he is really asking for; without outright asking, is that someone with more experience in that type of hunting: drive hunting, explain some of the strategies used, as no group of hunters are the exact same.

I too have been caught claiming a deer, it is not unusual for a bowhunter in my opinion to get eyes on a deer and continue to claim him throughout the season; though incorrect in the assumption that it belongs to you. My bulletin board has 4 or 5 pics of bucks that I "claim" are mine and can't wait to get a chance to harvest, however with that comes the knowledge that someone else may get that deer; it is a fact of hunting.

So, the best we can do for this young hunter is listen and give advice on how to handle it. Secondly, we can hope that the demeaning posts of a few do not drive him away from the social aspects of hunting; because hunting is not all about personal experiences, but is something that drives an emotional part of the brain that strives for social interaction, hence why we get the satisfaction we get when others compliment on our prizes; regardless if they are does, fork bucks, button bucks, or 170" class monsters.
+1 Probably the best reply in the thread. Pretty much what I was thinking Pope was expressing and looking for myself. Give him a break and help teach him instead of scolding him for his concerns. He is only 14! (not meant in a demeaning way pope)