Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Question out of curiosity >

Question out of curiosity

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question out of curiosity

Old 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

An arrow will come to a complete stop on a deer shoulder or richoche out away from vitals. You did the right thing. I'd go over the land next time you get a chance just to see if you can find the arrow. But in my experience and opinion if you feel you did a reasonable search and exhausted all evidence of trail then you did all you were bound to do. You backed out and let the deer have room to die and went back the next morning. You did a thorough tracking job. You lost a deer. That sums it up and nothing about that line of statements are wrong. Hell I hit a buck in the shoulder with a 150 grn hornady 30-06 load Sunday and it still made it 60 yards before it dropped. You hit yours with a broad head. lol It probably pulled it out with its teeth and ate it for breakfast while sitting on the top of the hill watching you crawl through the woods on your hands and knees. Sorry just kidding. But seriously I've been there too. It's not a good feeling but it happens. In my opinion any bowhunter that says they havent ever lost a deer is either lying or they haven't been bowhunting for very long. I wish you nothing but the best and I hope you find your arrow.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

where exactly did it say i looked 13 hours? I said I looked for 6 hours the following day, I shoulder shot a deer previously in the year and looked 7.

Last edited by scribbler444; 12-12-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by scribbler444
halfbaked are you mentally retarded? if your gonna bash something learn to read properly, where exactly did it say i looked 13 hours? I said I looked for 6 hours the following day, I shoulder shot a deer previously in the year and looked 7.
I don't think he was bashing you man. Actually sounds like he was backing you up but, at the same time saying damn, 13 hours, are you sure?! Take it easy man, Halfbaked seems to be a pretty good fellow around here.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pushing a poorly hit deer is the best way to insure it will not be recovered.
I have to agree with this 100%. The hardest deer for me to find was one that tried to jump my arrow after it nicked a small twig. It nicked the deer on the underside of it. After getting my arrow and checking the area of the deers movement I back away from it.
It was a wet rainy day and that only added to the missery of trying to locate it. I left it for an hour and a half as it was early in the morning that the shot was made. I also notices the white hair on the ground as well as a fatty substance on my arrow. Both which indicated a low shot or perhaps a gut shot. So I went home and let it lay for a while and got out my rain gear. It was a pain to track as it went up a ridge rather than heading towards a small stream as I would suspect. I was taught early in hunting that a wounded deer will walk with it's toes spread for balance and that played a big part in the recovery of it. I circled around for about 4 hours before I came acrossed it. While making my circles I noticed where a deer walked with it's toes spread up onto a ridge and sure enough when I got there it had gotten up and went down towards a cedar swamp. I knew right then with all the time that had elasped that I needed to go in behind it. It had laid down shortly after getting in the swamp. Upon seeing me it got back up only to recieve another shot this time connecting directly to both lungs and that was pretty much the end of it.
Upon the original shot it was hit only in the flank just under the belly area. The skin was still holding together and the penetration was roughly one inch going straight threw. So is it possible to recover with your shot? Based on my own experience I would say yes.. If not pressured in any way and given time to lay and bleed out I see no reason as to why not..
Old 12-12-2009, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Schultzy
Not If you find the arrow.

I was gonna say the same thing schultzy!
Old 12-12-2009, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by teedub31
I was gonna say the same thing schultzy!
the arrow isnt always an indication of a hit! i shoot a 9pt this yr hit him perfect. exited rite in his armpit. the arrow or broadhead had hardly any blood just a few hairs on the fletches. he ran 120yd and expired. i shot an old big bodied buck last yr while stalking. hit him in the shoulder and saw the arrow sticking out and it broke off when he took off. i compared it to my other arrows and it looked like i had 4inches of penetration but its hard to tell really. an arrow can and will back out as a deer turns to run. i searched off and on the whole wk. not much blood at all. shoulder hits happen. ive found myself aiming a tab bit further back and im pulling a lil over 70lbs.