Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Question out of curiosity >

Question out of curiosity

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question out of curiosity

Old 12-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question out of curiosity

How many of you guys have ever recovered a deer after shooting it in the shoulder and only getting 3 inches of penetration?jesus im getting ripped apart here after a questionable hit i backed out I knew it wasnt a lung shot or heat shot. So i backed out and went back the following morning this question was written because I never recovered the deer so I was wondering how many of you have recovreed deer wit that much penetration

Last edited by scribbler444; 12-07-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

None with just 3" - but I have recovered two shoulder-hit deer while volunteer sight-tracking on the local Navy Base over the past 21 years. There was no penetration into the boiler room on either deer - and both deer were killed with follow-up shots while they were bedded. I think deer are quite capable of surviving a shoulder hit that fails to penetrate into the vitals.

-fsh
Old 12-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Spike

Had a similar experience last year with a shoulder hit. Looked all night and most of the next morning until we saw the deer running across a road. He had a limp, but survived!

Mack34
Old 12-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Easy guys. I think we've got a guy looking for an excuse to stop tracking.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know the exact penetration, but it was VERY little one time when I hit a doe in the shoulder, they arrow fell out fairly quickly, but I still recovered her. SHe had lost decent amount of blood we followed her up & put another one in her.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's impossible to tell it was 3" unless the deer is recovered.
An arrow can hit the offside shoulder or leg and back most/all the way out
so fast it appears you only got a few inches.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
It's impossible to tell it was 3" unless the deer is recovered.
An arrow can hit the offside shoulder or leg and back most/all the way out
so fast it appears you only got a few inches.
I agree.

If I am correct this is the guy that posted that he stopped tracking his deer after "getting 3 inches of penetration"
Old 12-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

If ur going to hunt then you better track. I once spent three days tracking a shoulder shot doe. Came up on her several times but couldnt get another shot in. I finally had to quit when the sign stopped and I did a body search for 5 hrs. A deer hit in the shoulder will survive, but just because you think that you got 3 inches doesn't mean that you did. You owe it to the animal to make every attempt to track and recover.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

I searched for 6 hours trust me I was very proud to have shot this deer I backed out overnight and went back and couldnt find anything. I am a firm believe to search as much as possible and try the hardest to track down a deer. The deer did not ask to be shot and a responsible hunter always does his ultimate best to locate his deer
Old 12-07-2009, 02:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 1shotkill1993
I agree.

If I am correct this is the guy that posted that he stopped tracking his deer after "getting 3 inches of penetration"
No - he searched 6 hours the next day after backing out on a questionable hit - did the right thing.

Several jumped him on the other thread WITHOUT reading the whole post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.