Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Table Salt For Deer... >

Table Salt For Deer...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Table Salt For Deer...

Old 05-29-2003, 06:06 AM

Default Table Salt For Deer...

I know that salt licks are used for deer, but I think they are illegal to hunt off of in Michigan. I was wondering if putting plain old table salt on like a stump or something would have the same effect? Mike,-
Old 05-30-2003, 05:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Table Salt For Deer...

Deer love salt in all forms , but iodized table salt would probably not be the best form to use . Most brands also contain an ingredient to prevent them from caking , and this might mess with their digestive system . If you must use salt pick a product specifically made for wildlife , not table salt . Even then , check the ingredient list for components that might be suspect . The wildlife biologists on your state' s Fish and Game website will have better answers , I' d consult them first . Also clarify if this constitutes baiting , where I live attractants like salt must be removed at least 10 days before the start of the season .
Old 05-31-2003, 08:26 PM

In New Jersey where I hunt it is legal to bait deer. I use plain old rock salt, nothing fancy, and I eat well each year.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:03 PM
Typical Buck

I use a little table salt on my venison steaks. Yum Yum.[&:]
Old 05-31-2003, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

I would think if the law says " no salt" , that' s what it means. Not " no salt blocks, but table salt is ok" .

Here in Alabama it is illegal to hunt over anything except plain salt (like minerals or molasses licks). You can put out salt blocks or whatever as long as there are not added ingredients. (you can put out minerals, you just can' t hunt over them or near them)