Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shot the Rage FINALY! >

Shot the Rage FINALY!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot the Rage FINALY!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

what would the optimal KE be for Rage heads?

from the calculators i've used my bow should be producing around 73-76 KE. is this too little?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

No.

*but*

If your bow isn't optimally tuned.....you're not "really" producing those numbers.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
No.

*but*

If your bow isn't optimally tuned.....you're not "really" producing those numbers.

if by properly tuned you mean "paper tuned", then the answer is yes.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

from the calculators i've used my bow should be producing around 73-76 KE. is this too little?
No that's plenty KE if your bow is actually producing that much. Are you basing your arrow speed for the KE calculation on numbers obtained by actually shooting through a chronograph?
Old 08-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

that was using Chrono #'s. i am shooting a 30" Beman Realtree MFX 340 at 270 f.p.s. i was figuring the arrow at 340 grains not including the knock, insert and blazer vanes. then i'm adding a 100 grain tip which brings me up to 440 grains. finally i was just adding a few grains for the vanes, insert and knock.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Dominant Buck

No. Not "just" paper tuned.

Proper tuning involves the marriage of a properly spined; weighted; length; tip-weight; Broadhead equipped arrow with a correct DW; center-shot bow (for the comound shooter).

I have very little confidence (based on what I read in bowhunting forums) in people going afield with tuned setups. Call me a skeptic.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good hunting with them! You've been at it for some time, Rage is in your debt for using them. They aren't making you look good, your making them look good.

For forty bucks for three they'd better be on here thanking you for using them instead of the other way round.

Still kind of amazes me that we thank companies for going where we put them.

Good hunting this year!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Spike

I bought a pack of 2 blade rage heads last year. I used the practice head along side my field points and had great results. When hunting season neared I screwed on the heads I would be hunting with to give em a trial run before heading out. 2 out of 3 opened on flight the first round. I inspected carefully then gave em another round with the same results. I couldn't trust em after that and will not use them hunting. I can't speak for others results, but after trying them I wouldn't recommend anyone waste money on these heads.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me personally... There is enough things that can go wrong when bow hunting WILD whitetail deer... I don't need to worry about my broadhead...

Any broadhead that you have to double check before you shoot it... Is a liability to the mission... I'll pass on the rage and any mechanical for that matter

Give me a great fixed blade broadhead any day...

Can you say Muzzy???
Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

For those who have shot a rage, how many deer have you not recoverd? I am 1 for 1 with deer and 2 for 2 with turkeys.

The stats will show it's not about the bh as much is it is shot placement and bow setup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.