Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanicals vs. Fixed - Spitfire/Thunderheads >

Mechanicals vs. Fixed - Spitfire/Thunderheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanicals vs. Fixed - Spitfire/Thunderheads

Old 06-24-2009, 03:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mechanicals vs. Fixed - Spitfire/Thunderheads

my dad uses a horton explorer 150 xbow. Last year he took deer with both fixed and mechanical heads with it. He used G5 strikers and TekkenIIs. Both flew identical to his FPs and both left very nasty entry and exit wounds. Three equally dead deer to boot.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mechanicals vs. Fixed - Spitfire/Thunderheads

I've used various broadheads over the years, both mechanical and fixed blades.

My list includes;

Satelites
Wasp Cam-loks
Thunderhead 125
Punchcutter 65(one of the first mechanicals)
Rocket Miniblaster 75
Wasp Jak-Hammer75
Muzzy 75
Slick-Trick

I've taken several deer with each. With the Rockets and Punchcutters taking most of my deer.

I trulely loved the Rockets for the ease of use and their performance on deer. My problem was with their durability. They were good for only one shot usually. After being shot, blades were either broke or bent badly.

Some may complain of broken blades but I actually liked that aspect. If a blade encounterd bone, it would break off and allow the arrow to penetrate further, rather then wedging and stopping the arrow's progress.
I've even shot through a few shoulder blades on smaller deer at a quartering-to angle. These deer were taken at ground level at about5 to 12 yds.

One other problem with some swing open type mechanicals is that on some extreme angle shots there is the chance of the head not penetrating right away and actually skimming along the rib cage.(some cases of actually bouncing off)I would only take broadside shots after my experience.

This deer below was one of those instances. While the entry wound is huge, it is because of theRocket skimming along a few ribs before entry.

While I have no experience with them, I hear great things about the Rage heads. Their different method of blade deployment seems to be the ticket. I'd give them a try.