Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanicals or Fixed Blade >

Mechanicals or Fixed Blade

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanicals or Fixed Blade

Old 09-16-2003, 07:08 PM

Default Mechanicals or Fixed Blade

What do you think is better. I have 3 mechanicals and 2 muzzys, not sure which to shoot this season. Pros, cons? Any help is appreciated
Old 09-16-2003, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mechanicals or Fixed Blade

Jimmimac says we should stick our heads on the chopping block a little more often so I will.....

Mechanicals are JUNK!

I use Muzzy 3 blade 100grn!

DING DING DING!!![&:]

Old 09-16-2003, 07:24 PM

What type mechanicals?

What is your bow and setup?

Its hard to recommend without knowing your setup
Old 09-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Dominant Buck

What type mechanicals?

What is your bow and setup?

Its hard to recommend without knowing your setup
What he said..... and when in doubt go FIXED.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just kidding!.........(sort of.)

This has been a widely debated topic since I started coming to this site ages ago.
There are soooooooo many factors to consider when trying to determine what might actually BE best for a given person that you can' t simply put it in Black and White terms in the fashion you stated.

Here' s just a sampling of the information needed to make a TRUE informed decision on broadhead choice.
Kinetic Energy/Speed and Momentum levels. (Arrow weight and speed)
Cutting Diameter
Number of Blades
Style of tip
If its a mechanical how does it open?
Game being hunted.
Bow tune
Arrow tune
Fletching style
Head durability
Etc. etc.

I can' t say what I feel is best for you and your set-up because I know NOTHING about it.

For me PERSONALLY and MY set-up hunting deer? I feel Mechs and larger cutting diameter mechs work best. My reasoning. I have Kinetic energy to spare to get these heads to work properly, and I like overkill and the ability to simply damage more tissue than a modest cutting diameter head.
If I was planning to use a broadhead of 1" or 1 1/4" in diameter I would just shoot regular fixed blade broadheads.

What' s right for me and my set-up might be the exact opposite for you or the next guy.

I' m assuming you would have enough energy and good bow and arrow tuning before we even get started with the question, so right there Muzzy' s would be my choice for you. If you wish to discuss Mechs and their applications we need more info about your set-up
Old 09-16-2003, 07:39 PM

i am shooting a Browning Ambush with 28 inch Carbon Fury' s with 100g tips, Whisker biscuit and in my opinion is finely tuned. It shoots faster than everyone ive shot with so far so i dont think that would be an issue here. The mechanicals are Game Tracker Silver Tips. Thanks Guys
Old 09-17-2003, 06:04 PM

i shot them into a foam target today. They all penatrated about the same. The muzzy 4 blade penatrade the most and had the smalles hole, the 3 blade didnt make it quit as far thru as the 4 blad but it made a bigger hole and the mechanical didnt go all the way thru the target but it knocked a big hole in it. Now i just gotta figure out which one i need, thinking about keeping all three in my arsenal in the tree and maybe ill be able to pick my shot...who knows
Old 09-17-2003, 06:09 PM

I use Mech' s exclusively for two reasons. 1- they are more accurate, and I feel shot placement is far more important than whether you shoot fixed or mech. 2- there are no exposed blades, so they are safer.

The only drawback, in my book, is you do pay a price with penetration. No mech cuts as well as a sharp fixed blade. Were I hunting bigger game than deer, I would be using Muzzy' s.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:15 PM

thanks guys, im still not real sure what im going to do, other than go talk to sum folks at the pro shop.....
Old 09-18-2003, 12:19 AM

I use Thunderhead 100' s (fixed) with my compound and Spitfire 100 grains (mechanical) with my crossbow. The mechanical broadheads fly like field points in my bows, then open to 2 1/2" cutting surface.

Quick Reply: Mechanicals or Fixed Blade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.