Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 PA archery season now a joke >

PA archery season now a joke

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA archery season now a joke

Old 06-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA archery season now a joke

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I think the point is.....PA is the biggest slob hunting state of this country. They are everywhere. Ask anyone that hunts PA. The stories never end.

Yes, crossbows will get more people into the woods. That, in itself, is a double edged sword. It may introduce newbys to this great sport but it will add many more slob hunters.

Many of these new crossbow hunters will lack an understanding of what is involved in getting a deer with a bow. Many won't take the time that is needed. Just grab the crossbow and head to the woods.

Crossbows make it easy because the can be used by anyone. This includes lazy hunters. The kind of guys that will wound a deer and give up looking after a few minutes, guys that aren't that dedicated to archery hunting and who were rifle hunters all their lives.

Many that don't understand the kind of dedication that archery hunting requires, will be taking to the woods this fall. They don't understand blood trailing or even the importance of properbody angle with archery gear.

I know many, many rifle hunters that have been hunting for decades, yet they are totally clueless about how different it is hunting with a bow. I've seen first hand how bad they are at blood trailing and how ignorant they are about the body positioning a deer must have before you shoot.

PA is the slob capital of the country. It is bad here and that is a big reason for me being against crossbows. It will just introduce more idiots to the fall woods.

If some sort of testing were required, I'd be all for it. But as it stands, anyone with the money for a crossbow will be out there flinging arrows this fall.
This has soooo many good points. And as you have said these are the problems.. I'm all for more hunters and blah blah.. but they need to be hunters who are in it with the willingness to learn and do things right.. Far too many hunters come in opening morning and start flinging arrows or bullets.. Thats just how PA is... If we were acquiring good hunters from this crossbow law I wouldnt mind.. but i'm afraid it is going to be some of the weekend warrior gun hunters that see this as a second season for the orange army... and that, is scary..
Old 06-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Well said, LC. I've said the same thing for a long time.......

If the truth were to be known.....the REAL reason most people oppose crossbows is......they're afraid the "other guy" is gonna kill "their" deer.

Period.

In full disclosure....I'm agaisnt crossbows in PA (as they're now available to be utilized). I don't believe they've ever been a problem in any state they've been legalized.....BUT....

I think each state should be looked at on it's own merits. PA (from what I can tell from my friends and acquaitences, there) doesn't need more hunters toting ANY weapon. Will this new law introduce more hunters for the archery season? Surely.

But let's don't resort to using cliche's and falsehoods to discuss these weapons. It tends to make your bottom line lose credibility.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

alright so you guys know where im coming from let me explain what happened yesterday... so i get home from work and there is a message on the machine it is one of my cousins. he just got his hunting license and got an archery stamp he wants me to call him back and tell him what kind of crossbow to buy and how powerful a scope. my heart sank. my cousin is the kind of hunter who thinks hunting is a job and he has to get an animal or it was a waste. and he has no idea about archery hunting and has never wanted to go before but now since it is so easy he wants to do it he told me. this is what i fear will happen state wide people like him will crowd the woods. archery season was always my time to get away from people like him i deal with them rifle season. archery season used to be so relaxing but not now. i hope that he is the only one like that in PA but i doubt it. that is why i was so upset

today i thought about it all day and i came to the conclusion that i would be alright with the crossbow if they would only get ride of the scopes. but i doubt they will

sutton