Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA Archery Season >

PA Archery Season

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Archery Season

Old 10-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default PA Archery Season

How did everyone dofor the first day of PA Archery season? Unfortunately I am in the middle of packing for an upcoming move so I won't be doing much hunting for a few weeks. Let me know how you did!!

***Please refrain from commenting on any PA deer management issues on this thread. Thank you!!***
Old 10-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA Archery Season

I rained out in the morning and took both sons out this afternoon. I put them both on good spots and they both saw plenty of deer but no horns and no quality shot opportunities. I had posyioned myself so I wasn't likely to intercept any deer headed toward the boys and the deer wound up spending their evening between the two but not givng either a shot. Just as it got too dark, they all decided to have a community meeting under my youngest son.

Not a bad day overall
Old 10-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got a doe in 5D during the special regs early season. Missed a BIG doe today in Sullivan County (3B) due to my bow string slapping my jacket sleave (34 degrees this morning). Saw 9 deer on the hunt. 4 others on my way out. Only buck was a 5-pointer which would have been a 1970s-1980s trophy but not a tag burner these days.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:08 AM

I got 3 does in the early season. I only got out in the evening yesterday and saw a bunch of spikes and 3pts and a couple does. Nothing worth shooting.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:03 PM

Opening day kill in PA today. Hooked up with a farmer for a 125 acre property next to the gamelands. Only got access 2 weeks ago so I didn't get much scouting time. This past Thurs I picked out a tree near a few runs along a ridge full of nut trees. Got in really early so I wouldn't bump them back. At around 7:20 this guy came walking up behind me through some very heavy stuff. Only 1 opp for a shot at 25 yards and he would gone after that. Drilled him with the Spitfire and he had almost no reaction. I heard the impact and he jumped ran 10 yards and then fooled around and walked back down the hill. Took me 20 minutes to find the bloodtrail and I followed drop by drop(sometimes 10 yards between drop) for 2 hours. I can not tell you how little blood there was. Lucky for me he stayed on a run. After 2 hours he was all the way down the mountain and crossed some grasses and I lost him for the 10th time. Starting doing circle after circle and all of a sudden I am standing looking at a buck staring at me 20 yds out. I was not sure if it was my deer or not. Face off for a couple minutes and he walked 5 yards and layed down. I now knew I was on the right deer. After 10 min he got up and I quickly got into position and snuck in a kill shot.

Lesson to everyone here. Search search search for blood and stick with it. Over 2 hours of trailing and I got em. This buck was so heavy I couldn't get him in the xterra. Probably #25 in PA and he certainly had the largest body size of any deer I ever shot in PA. I wrestled pulled leaned shoved him into the car.

Autopsy revealed that I missed the lungs by 2 inches and hit the edge of the liver. Reason for the long trail. Quick shots in a narrow opening can be tough.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on a nice buck and a good story
Old 10-05-2008, 05:56 PM

The story is a paste from my Bowcountry post. Lots of details. I am no Hemingway!!!

I can tell you one thing, I followed this guy drop by drop for a very long time. You gotta just stick to it. The satisfaction of finally finding his was better than the excitement when I saw him coming toward me. After 2 hours I was high 5'ing myself and just lovin it.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!! Nice buck and good job staying on the blood trail!!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:35 PM

way to go, congrats
Old 10-06-2008, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats and nice buck. Where are you from? That plan looks awfully familiar.

Quick Reply: PA Archery Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.