Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ground Blind or Ladder stand >

Ground Blind or Ladder stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground Blind or Ladder stand

Old 05-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default Ground Blind or Ladder stand

In your area you could use a ground blind or a 2-man ladder stand for yourself and your first year bowhunting son
which would you opt for? Myself I'm thinking 2-man ladder stand reason being, can see longer distance, he will be in a single stand for gun hunting,
teach about drawing when the deer are not aware, see alot more wildlife and smell and feel the outdoors more while in a stand versus a blind,
teach the really important aspects of saftey equipment while climbing.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ground Blind or Ladder stand

If the weather was right, I would go with the ladder stand all the way. Like you said, you can see farther and its a little more "outdoorsy." On bad days dont hesitate to put him in a blind though, nothing ruins the expirence like getting soaking wet and freezing to death!

Either way, just get the boy into the woods!
Old 05-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't think you can go wrong. The stand will offer better vantage, but he will be able to get away with some movement in the blind. The stand may get him ready for future stand hunting, but the blind will let him shoot without thought to elevation on his first deer.

Either way, good luck. Have fun and be safe.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say 2 man ladder stand for sure. It would obviously depend on the spot/situation, but I think he would be able to see and experience more up in a tree.. There are definitely benefits to both though. Have fun!
Old 05-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The early season is usually pretty warm and there is usually a lot of mosquitos so at that time of year I would opt for the pop up I would situate it on the edge of a field if possible. I use the ladder stand in the fall when the bugs are minimal and he's got a little more time under his belt, maybe by then he's seen enough deer that he can calm down enough to make the shot.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Terrain should be your determining factor. All things being equal... I like height.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:47 AM

Im with David - if the land will support it - height is your friend...
Old 05-28-2009, 04:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

How old is your Son Jag? I got a blind for Christmas this yearprimarily for taking my son along on certain days. He is only 5 and not ready to hunt yet. But he has the interest and loves seeing animals in the wild. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in an elevated stand just yet. Also at 5 staying still will be an issue. I would imgaine if your son is ready to hunt he is old enough to understand the basic things that I still have to teach. At that point i'd get him a quality harness and go up.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:33 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

How old is your Son Jag? I got a blind for Christmas this year primarily for taking my son along on certain days. He is only 5 and not ready to hunt yet. But he has the interest and loves seeing animals in the wild. I wouldn't feel comfortable with him in an elevated stand just yet. Also at 5 staying still will be an issue. I would imgaine if your son is ready to hunt he is old enough to understand the basic things that I still have to teach. At that point i'd get him a quality harness and go up.
He turned 12 in dec, he is the one in my avatar 10 at the time of the picture. He has helped set up stands, drag deer, track deer, scout and been there
while deer have been fieid dressed so he has some knowledge of the sport. He has his own bow and we are shooting and turning the poundage up
a little at a time.He has never actually been in a treestand yet or pulled back on a deer but when the time comes I think he will be able to be steady
and calm, yea right to this day I'm not steady or calm. I can't wait to see the look in his eyes when the first deer walks into range and he takes his shot.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ladder stand. Buy a model thats comes with a canopy. Best of both worlds.