Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ground blind vs Tree Stand

Old 02-04-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Ground blind vs Tree Stand

I was wondering everyone's pro's and con's to both. I still hunt , archery,ml, and rifle. I have been checking out some of these blinds with shoot through windows and wonder if they also keep the bugs out. In early season, they can almost suck a man dry and carry him away. I am a big guy so I was thinking those climber stands might be too hard to use.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:02 PM

Default RE: Ground blind vs Tree Stand

i think the screens will keep the bugs out intell you start shooting holes in it. lol
Old 02-04-2005, 07:21 PM

in my few years of hunting ive never had anyluck at all in a blind. ive seen more deer when i was sitting in tall grass and just staying still. another thing is i couldnt see crap through the windows in my blind
Old 02-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

It depends on the type of terrain you hunt and the methods of hunting that you use. The main reasons I get in a tree is better visibility and the little bit of help I may get from scent standpoint. Use a ladder stand if possible. No problem with weights if you have a good stand.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:01 PM

I would prefer a treestand for Bowhunting and a ground blind for rifle.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've used both with about the same success. I prefer a tree stand in thicker cover.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:26 AM

I hunt form permanent ground blinds or really shooting houses. they are very nice with carpet and shelves for storing your stuff.
I also have tower stands i build that are just as nice . i use climbers and pop up ground blinds which are not as comfortable but work.

I say don't limit yourself as all have pros and cons to there use. if deer are feeding in a open field and your bowhunting where you gonna hang a stand? a pop up blind works great especially on turkeys during the shotgun seaon.
pros to climbers are yeah you can see more but i have had them look up at me and bam i am busted.

I say have a variety of hunting stand options and use them all.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:02 PM

I've hunted out of treestands for years and like the advantage they give for getting above the action. You can really see alot more than you can when your sitting on the ground. I used to spend hours scouting before the season and hanging portable stands. The last couple of season's I've had family commitments that have prevented me from doing so and now when I hunt out of a stand I use my climber. I like the climber for the mobility it gives me. If I come across a hot spot I can hunt it immediately. I don't have to take the time to take down a portable stand and relocate it. I'm a pretty good size lad at 6' and weigh 250 and don't have any problem using a climber. Also, the older I get the safer I feel in a climber compared to a portable.

As far as ground blinds, I'm also hunting more on the ground these days. I make a natural blind using dead limbs and branches. IMO I think they are a little more natural looking than the "pop up style". I also think that one's field of view is limited with these types as you would be confined to only seeing the section of woods available out of each window. I would think that their would be "blind" spots. No pun intended

Mr. .45-70
Old 02-06-2005, 01:24 PM

i see plenty of deer on ground, i dont own a tree stand. the deer i got this year walked with in8 feet of me and i was in a carhart coat and military camo pants sittin with my back against a tree