Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my arrow really heavy? >

Is my arrow really heavy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my arrow really heavy?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is my arrow really heavy?

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier
You have the experience and skillset to accomplish that with a lighter arrow. Do you actually believe that the majority of bowhunters can do the same thing? And no one is saying heavy arrows will "fix poor shots", that is you making something up. What is being said is that a heavier arrow will help compensate for a poor shot. Do you think the majority of bowhunters out there have you experience and skillset? I don't and that is why I would agree with idahoelkinstructor that bowhunters should err on the side of heavy rather than light.
I thought you were talking about Skills? Guess you meant something else when you typed that.

Sorry!!

Dan
Old 04-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

You have the experience and skillset to accomplish that with a lighter arrow. Do you actually believe that the majority of bowhunters can do the same thing? And no one is saying heavy arrows will "fix poor shots", that is you making something up. What is being said is that a heavier arrow will help compensate for a poor shot. Do you think the majority of bowhunters out there have you experience and skillset? I don't and that is why I would agree with idahoelkinstructor that bowhunters should err on the side of heavy rather than light.
I thought you were talking about Skills? Guess you meant something else when you typed that.

Sorry!!

Dan
What is contradictory? I asked you if you think the majority of bowhunters have your experience and skillset. You say "This is what I do with my setup" and imply that all bowhunters can do the same thing. That was why I asked you if you thought all bowhunters had your experience and skillset. Do you think that?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

All archers should know their limitations on placing the arrow where it should go and when to take the shot.

If they don't I doubt a heavier arrow or humongous broadhead will make the difference.

What is being said is that a heavier arrow will help compensate for a poor shot.

I don't agree with the above statement[8D]Nobody should depend on anything to compensate for a poor shot. Because...........................

They will be disappointed[8D]

I think there are many Bowhunters that have the ability to do anything I do and more. It doesn't take a PhD to know when, and where to shoot an animal, or a tremendous amount of smarts to know your effective range and hunt within that range

Stating that anything helps compensate for a poor shot only fuels the mindset of the majority ofJoe Bowhunters. I'd hope most of thehunters who visit HNI are more of the serious type Bowhunters, and know better.

I have arrows weighing from 330 grains to over 500 grains. I use them all and they are very effective at their intended jobs. There is a choice! Everyone should use what they are confident in. I do!

Dan
Old 04-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obfuscation at its finest.

I don't think anyone is saying thatbowhunters should depend on compensating for a poor shot except you .

I wish there were no poor shots too but animals move, winds blow, twigs/branches go unseen. Apparently there is something wrong with telling folks things don't always go like we plan and that being prepared for less than ideal results is wrong.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you really wanna be prepared for the unknown, Getcha sum of them Duke boy arrows

Taking poor shots is easy to do. It takes little planning or forethought, but be sure and use some compensating arrows[8D]

My Grand Dad always said as you speak so shall it be unto youBe sure and prepare for them Poor shots[:-]

Bruce, You are the one that said "A heavy arrow will help compensate for a poor shot"

I do Not agree

Dan
Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought you were a little more grown up than that.

Have you ever made a poor shot in your 40 years of hunting?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Bruce, You are the one that said "A heavy arrow will help compensate for a poor shot"

Yes, I am. "help compensate" does not mean "depend on"in my dictionary.

Again, Have you ever made a poor shot in your 40 years of hunting?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I thought you were a little more grown up than that.

One I thought a Heavy Arrow would fix?

No!! Definitely not!

I would Never use a setup hoping to compensate for a poor shot. I have learned to take shots I know I can make, not weight my arrows or use huge broadheads to compensate. All the variables you mention fall under making a Poor shot. Most times they can avoided, but don't think anything will Bail you out when it happens. That line of thinking will Not fly!!

I've seen poor shots and lost deer from every kind bow, arrow, broadhead combination imaginable. It all comes down to poor shots lead to lost deer regardless of what you are using, but them Duke Boy arrows might work. Could be hard on the mount and the meat though[8D]

Dan
Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

What I asked was:

Simple enough question. Really, it only takes a yes or no.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

What I asked was:

Simple enough question. Really, it only takes a yes or no.
Since you can't figure it out. I'll say yes I have made a poor shot, but one a heavier arrow would have fixed? No definitely not!!

Matter of fact the shoot that comes to mind might have been fixed with a lighter arrow. I was shooting logs back then and did not have a range finder. I missed the yardage and hit the deer high in the leg.

Boy! Wish I'd been shooting a heavier arrowThose only weighed about 550 grains.

Pardon me while I press the ITI button and go get my 458 Mag out to shoot a few Starlings.

The rest of you can build compensating arrows for poor shots.

Dan

Quick Reply: Is my arrow really heavy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.