Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my arrow really heavy? >

Is my arrow really heavy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my arrow really heavy?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is my arrow really heavy?

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Besides that kind of arrow weight out of a compound is totally unnessary.

Dan
Thank you. I totally agree. Heavier is not ALWAYS better. You can go TOO heavy. 700 grains is so heavy that you will lose so much speed that it will adversely effect your KE, so tell me, what exactly is so good about a 700 grain arrow..?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:15 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

Besides that kind of arrow weight out of a compound is totally unnessary.

Dan
Thank you. I totally agree. Heavier is not ALWAYS better. You can go TOO heavy. 700 grains is so heavy that you will lose so much speed that it will adversely effect your KE, so tell me, what exactly is so good about a 700 grain arrow..?
You may drop KE, but you increase momentum. Goodness, its easy to find out on here who has been into archery more than 5 years.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a good read.

This has some darn good information, and it says momentum, more than KE, should be the term described by archers to talk about penetration.

KE is all of the arrows energy; sound energy, momentum, rotational energy, etc. Whereas momentum is the arrows FORWARD movement and its resistance to change direction. (mass x velocity)

bigcountry is actually right to an extent, although I'd be he doesnt understand quite why..

The article says, "Given two arrows, identical in shaft and broadhead materials and profile, and having EQUAL momentum, but possessing UNEQUAL mass, the arrow deriving the greater portion of its momentum from its mass will penetrate better. The Laws of Physics requires this to be true, and ALL of my field test data validates this to be the case."

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/Momentum%20Kinetic%20Energy%20and%20Arrow%20Penetr ation.htm
Old 03-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

BC, I've been Bowhunting over 40 years and killed xxx animals with a bow.

Although heavy arrows definitely have their advantages out of trad gear. Arrows weighing 700 grains are neither required nor preferred for optimum performance from a compound setup for normal Bowhunting.

Dan
Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 PM
bigcountry

Although heavy arrows definitely have their advantages out of trad gear. Arrows weighing 700 grains are neither required nor preferred for optimum performance from a compound setup for normal Bowhunting.

Dan

I never said it was preferred or needed, hense the reason I didn't reply to YOU. I was replying to the guy who needed to know what would be so good about a 700gr arrow.

I tend to agree, its somewhere in the middle. For instance, I shoot 450-500gr for my compounds. I like it. I have confidense if that critter suddenly moves a bit and I hit that shoulder. And I have proved to myself several times that 450gr with 11% FOC is better than 8% FOC and 350gr. But 550gr might feel little heavy for me. Not hurting anything.

But yes, I require the 600gr or more for trad.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigcountry, what would a traditional bow with a 600 grain arrow getfor FPS?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:11 PM
bigcountry

A fast recurve 60lb bow could get a 600gr kicking at 190-200fps with a 28" draw. Thats a fast one like a adcock bow, or totally fiberglass recurve.

Your typical longbow or recurve usually shoots a 10gr/lb draw arrow at 28" draw at 175fps. So I see a 50lb bow usually shoot a 500gr arrow 175fps. With a super clean release, maybe 180fps.

With a selfbow solid one piece I usually see 155fps for same criteria of 10gr/lb draw arrow. I have however seen a holmgaarddesigned osage selfbowwith heat treated belly shoot 180fps.But I know I can't build anything that good.

There are claims out there of selfbows that shoot 190-200fps with 10gr/lb of draw. But I have yet to see it. Its kinda like a unicorn.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

bigcountry, what would a traditional bow with a 600 grain arrow get for FPS?
My guess would be the guy shooting that bow with that arrow could care less what the FPS is. I'm just sayin'....
Old 03-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

My guess would be the guy shooting that bow with that arrow could care less what the FPS is. I'm just sayin'....
I agree BHF! When I shot trad gear I never gave speed a consideration.

Rifle hunters would not think of using the same weightBullet or Caliber of gun for that matteron all Big Game in North America, but some Bowhunters think it's either Heavy or Light.

No way I'd go Bear hunting on a Bait with an arrow weighing 5 grains per pound. I'd use my heavier arrow for obvious reasons.

On the other hand I would not use my 500 plus grain arrows hunting Antelope or Mule Deer out west either.

I think the reason is also obvious

Dan
Old 03-31-2009, 02:36 AM
Banned

compounders don't understand the difference bigcountry-I certainly never did and I balk at traveling the normal pace of anything and STILL never understood that KE is the worst measurement in bowhunting

speed is irrelevant too -I know, I know, that concept is lost in the compound world but 15 yard shots don't need 350 fps, they need heavy, bone crushing arrow/broadhead combo's powered by momentum. Want to shoot farther than 15-20 yard? Take up rifle hunting - archery and bowhunting is a close range game. I don't know what my bow shoots - fast enough, maybe 165 fps? I've got no idea, might be 150 or 180 .... and don't care.

I put 100 gr brass inserts into my ICS 400 shafts, use weight tubes and a 160 grain 3 blade Thunderhead. Thats my current setup, works wonderfully, thats 260 grains up front.

Again I'll state that a mandatory 700 gr arrow weight for all archery bows would be only a positive for bowhunting, not a negative.

Quick Reply: Is my arrow really heavy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.